You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 3)

I had to fuss with it myself several times by changing the lock and unlock icon in the system prefs... frustrating but after several tries it worked!

Going to have to sit this version out. Can't get it to open after setting "open anyway" in system preferences. Downloaded again today, still nothing.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

I am still experiencing the PDF export issue reported https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/21294-affinity-designer-customer-beta-15-beta-2/?p=102659 in the current beta release.  It's strange that the PDF export only fails when the document is embedded in another document.   I don't experience the same export failure in 1.4.2 version of Designer.

I have already emailed the support team with the documents in question.  I will be really, really happy if the issue is resolved in the next beta.

Nana,

Hey you tried copying and pasting the document that is currently embedded instead of embedding it (or placing it)? That is what was recommended before. I don't know if it is possible for you but it is worth a try.

Hokusai

Nana,

Hey you tried copying and pasting the document that is currently embedded instead of embedding it (or placing it)? That is what was recommended before. I don't know if it is possible for you but it is worth a try.

Hokusai

Hi Hokusai,

I have tried copy and paste and that hasn't helped either.  The interesting thing is that the document exports to PDF without any issue.  It seems it's only when the it's embedded in another document that the export fails.

Anyway, I have emailed both the original and the embedded document to support so hopefully, this will be fixed in the next beta.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers,

Nana

• Staff

Hi MBd,

I'll have to ask around and see if we've had any info from Apple on this one... I've got a v1 iMac 5k on my desk too, so it would be nice if it worked, but from what I played with before, turning on their higher colour depth support completely crucified the machine and it was noticeably slower to pan/zoom. Maybe things have moved on since I last tried it though... :)

Thanks,

Matt

• Staff

ok I just remember that PS had that 10bit support in place few weeks after it was populated (correct me if I´m wrong), I don´t have PS anymore) so I thought when they can do it (I´ve not read about slow downs on their side but I´m not reading much on their side anyway) you can easily do it...

my GPU is also mostly goofing around and I think you also have the M295X configuration which was even slower than the R295 config at some point (I think that was rectified with some update?) so I´m looking forward to any improvements there as well!

- alternative solution: do some bitcoin mining in the background and just PRETEND the GPU activity was caused by advanced rendering 

​EDIT: I guess 10bit Is even more important to the windows guys as they have 10bit for quiet some time before Mac and thus it may be more widespread (although judging from this forum I feel like the 5k iMacs sold really well)

The wide-gamut support for the new iMac 5k works with no performance loss and I can see a real difference... the 10bit support for the panel didn't seem to offer a huge visual difference and did significantly slow my 1st gen 5k iMac (295X) machine down so it really didn't motivate me to keep trying at the time... when I get some time I'll look at it again. It's worth keeping in mind that PS doesn't update the screen as frequently as Affinity, so you may not notice as much of a per-frame overhead as with us, so the slower frame updates will not feel so bad in PS as they do with us... or they just found the right API call that I didn't... either way, I'll look again when I get a chance :)

Hey guys, new update is fantastic. Import export of assets really useful to me... found a couple little bugs. 

When in the export Persona, the 'Export Selected' button doesn't grey out when there are no selections (items ticked). (Seems to be after turning off selections, not when a doc is opened with no selections).

When you have 100+ exports like me that leaves you scrolling up and down a lot trying to find what is still selected! 

When this gets looked at a really helpful addition to that button would be a count of the number of selections (items ticked). Again its to do with managing a large doc. If the button read 'Export Selected (5)' I would know if that is more than I intended to export, then I can look for objects to turn off.

ADDITION... also just had a scenario where 'Export Selected' was greyed out, then I selected (ticked) a slice and it remained greyed out. To get it to work again I tabbed across to another open document and then tabbed back and it was press-able again. So definitely some weirdness creeping in for 1.5 beta there.

When aligning a clipped/cropped object, the object doesn't align to the visually cropped area, but rather to the extents of the underlying object. This feels like a bug, surely if you have cropped it should align to the cropped area? Probably not a new issue?

ADDITION... If it's a cropped primitive object say a circle it will align properly. If it's a cropped curve it won't align properly.

Cheers.

• Staff

1) will have a look.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

When aligning a clipped/cropped object, the object doesn't align to the visually cropped area, but rather to the extents of the underlying object. This feels like a bug, surely if you have cropped it should align to the cropped area? Probably not a new issue?

ADDITION... If it's a cropped primitive object say a circle it will align properly. If it's a cropped curve it won't align properly.

Cheers.

Thanks for the report Malcolm,

The circle also doesn't work for me but i may have misunderstood your description.

Issue logged to be looked at.

Unable to export to pdf if the document has objects(embedded objects) that were placed using the place tool.  v1.5 pops up with "an error occured" dialog box.  It does seem to export using pdf 1.4 Acrobat 5 compatibility but the objects don't seem to scale properly.

• Staff

Artboards have always had a border - and they do in lots of other programs too - it's so that you can see where they are, particularly when they overlap. There may be a case for a view option to not show them if they're particularly getting in the way? :)

Artboards have always had a border - and they do in lots of other programs too - it's so that you can see where they are, particularly when they overlap. There may be a case for a view option to not show them if they're particularly getting in the way? :)

Ah, I see. ;)

Currently I’m working on a mockup of a dark UI; in my case the (comparatively bright) border is a glaring distraction. 

Personally, I don’t see the border adding any real value: I can’t think of any case where I need overlapping artboards.

For now, I just changed the Artboard Background Grey Level in order to reduce contrast. Maybe there’s an elegant solution to this tiny issue, someone might be able to think of? ;)

• 5 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.