You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 3)

• Staff

Purpose: New features, fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

This is the third beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.5 cannot be opened in 1.4 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.5 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.4 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Fixes/Improvements:

• Symbolically linked text can be detached properly.
  • Text Styles page menu option added: Apply Style and then Next Styles.
  • Fixed crash with certain fonts (ZnikomitNo24).
  • Fixed EPS export clipping paths getting combined with the following path
  • PDF Export avoid using tiling bitmap patterns unless the fill is genuinely tiling.
  • Fixed failure to rasterise transparency to PDF formats that don't support transparency
  • Tweaked font size variables for cap height and x-height.
  • Fixed position of text caret around line ends.
  • Clip To Canvas is now saved.
  • Import/Export of Assets now work.
  • You can now rearrange the assets sub categories via the sub-category burger menu.
  • Fixed Copy and Pasting from Apple's Photo app.
  • Fixed Zoom shortcuts can sometimes crash.
  • Fixed QuickLook thumbnail generation for files created in 1.5.
  • Minor bug fixes and stability issues.

Fixed Copy and Pasting from Apple's Photo app.

I luv u too …  :)

(What about that “Unidentified Developer” message on first launch, by the way? I just disregarded it, but I hope my download was in good order …)

• Staff

Fixed Copy and Pasting from Apple's Photo app.

I luv u too …  :)

(What about that “Unidentified Developer” message on first launch, by the way? I just disregarded it, but I hope my download was in good order …)

We must have missed a step or something this time round, but it should be fine - you know it comes from us ;)

Tweaked font size variables for cap height and x-height.

And that seems to work like a charm now (obviously I have not performed tests with every single font in my library, but the computation works just perfect for the ones I submitted to my tests) … thank you, Dave …  :)

• Staff

maybe anyone could look into that snapping issue https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/21354-ad-15-snapping-issue/?p=99864

I think I already answered that question - it'll be coming later because it's not a trivial thing.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

view > customize tool, select the number of columns

The list pops up nicely on first try but when you go from 1 to 8 to 5 e.g it does work correctly for 1,6,7,8 and incorrectly for 2,3,4,5. the list does not fully extend anymore

it´s like the annoying live adjustment filter list that does not properly pop up   :blink: https://affinity.ser...rop-up/?p=65485

I'm afraid this is the way OS X Popup Buttons work. They will always place the selected item over the control if possible. There isn't anything we can do about that as the system decides how to display the menu. The adjustment filter is not a Popup Button but simply a menu so there maybe something we can do.

• Staff

Oh that is pretty unfortunate!!!!

especially when using a tablet this is really annoying (at least to me) :unsure:

as a workaround for others, you can make sure that the layers page/panel is the lowest panel (collapse the history etc. by double clicking it or moving the entire set of pages from the lowest position up on top of the layers page so that the layers page is always the lowest)

I can see why it would be annoying using a tablet. I'm surprise it wouldn't try to use all the available space but I guess it's trying to be clever.  I will of course see if there is anything I can do on my end. :)

I can see why it would be annoying using a tablet. I'm surprise it wouldn't try to use all the available space but I guess it's trying to be clever.  I will of course see if there is anything I can do on my end. :)

This should be reported as a bug on apple developer forums or simply filing a bug with apple directly.

Apple says they take all reports seriously  ;)

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Great beta so far. Can't wait to use this "for reals" -- i.e. for production work, as I have a 25pg comic to letter for a kickstarter coming up in Sept. and I want to use AD for it & the char/paragraph styles are exactly what I need. Thanks.

Speaking of which, little UI thing on the Text Styles palette: the names for Paragraph styles are centered to a palette that is wider than the default (I guess...) size. I mean that part of the name is cut off when the palette is as narrow as it can be and the full name is only shown if the palette is very wide. The attached images should make this clear, ADB-3 issues01 is the "default" (narrowest) size of the palette and ...issues02 is wide enough so the entire name is readable. 

And I have no idea why "Body" and "Heading 2" are not centered like the others. The fact that "Heading 1" kinda came with the styles upon opening, indicates that this may not be an operator error thing. TBH, I like it better without the centering.

Thanks, and I'm back to kicking the tires of this beta. :) 

post-895-0-72113200-1467909235_thumb.png

post-895-0-87945400-1467909245_thumb.png

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

@MEB, thanks for the quick reply. So it seems that the panel emulates the actual style it labels... got it.  Quick question, if that's the case, then why does the text get cut off? It's like the center is responsive only when the palette is "just so wide" but not when it's as narrow as it can be.

Another thing, um, most comic dialog is centered, so for me,I know what alignment each style has, so a visual reminder is just redundant --  as the label prefix "ComixDialog" implies that already. I also will have ComixNarration, ComixSFX etc each with their own justification (left, right, center) as it applies to conventions used in comics. If this could be fine tuned to use the "center" of the palette -- no matter how narrow it is -- would work fine.

Just discovered the "show sample"setting. Turned it off and now I have a nice and neat list, I can live without seeing samples of the text thanks to using descriptive style names. And it doesn't have to take up way too much screen space just to be readable as the narrowest it can be shows the entire name with room left over.

However, I feel that my original comment still is valid, the centering should match the size (and "center-point") of the palette as it is displayed -- the user shouldn't have to drag out the width to be able to see the entire name -- as I had to stretch out the palette to be over 3 times it's smallest/default width just to see the name of the style and just look at all that empty space around the name. I realize this is a nit, but I feel that UI elements should make use of space efficiently and not waste space. 

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Hello there.

Is the Paragraph Tab -> Spacing work in progress?

I am seeing 5 icons there but only one of these - Space Before (the first one) has a pop-up menu to modify the settings.

The rest don't have that options at all.

Regards

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Really, Affinity, I LOVE YOU! Switched to Mac and using the new beta for a real layout and, what can I say, it's awesome! Until now I was using Illustrator for webdesign and Affinity Designer is so much better. Constraints (!), dynamic symbols, global colors, paragraph styles, a grid that acually works, perfect export features!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for making my life better and easier! 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.