You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Public Beta - 1.5.0.5 (Windows)

Thank you. I went via the start menu, applications then found the Serif download, it worked from there so it seems it's just the shortcut that isn't working.

Are there meant to be other applications apart from Designer? I've read in forums about a PagePlus but I only have the Designer Beta.

PagePlus is a long-established DTP application. Now that Serif are concentrating on the Affinity suite, PagePlus and the other Windows-only 'Plus' titles are no longer being developed.

There is an Affinity Photo app for OS X, with Affinity Publisher in the pipeline, but neither of these is available for Windows yet.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have got used to the replicate and the align options on PagePlus X9 to produce a set of similar objects (for instance rectangles) replicating them and lining them up with the same gap between them.  I find this easy to do without necessarily using layers. I am having a lot of difficulty managing the same action in Designer which doesn't seem as easy.

Can anyone help please?

John

Hi jrkay,

Check out the Power Duplicate video here:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/designer/

(It is about the 7th video)

AD 1.5.1.43   /  AP 1.5.0.45

Windows 10 Pro 64bit  -  Intel i7 6700 @ 3.4GHz  -  nVidia GTX 970 4GB  -  32" Monitor 2560x1440  -  32 GB Ram

Just to give a kudos, actually two...

- 1.5.0.5 installed very cleanly on Windows 10 latest, over 1.5.0.4.

- I just discovered the PDF editiing ability -- marvelous, and at first glance is much more capable -- and clean about it -- than Adobe Acrobat.

I really resist upgrading  Acrobat post release X, and had to deinstall that for the lack of security updates while they obviously keep coming.

Thus I suspect you have a sleeper extra selling market for Affinity Designer - good fortune with this.

Guest Arun Sarkar

'Power Duplicate' seems almost like the DrawPlus 'Replicate' and 'Transform' commands rolled into one. It's quite powerful.

'Power Duplicate' is just same as COREL's "Replicate" option. PP's "Replicate" is different from it. If want want a 5 x 5 setups in a single step then PP/DP's REPLICATE is perfect.

As I am not So Called PRO user I like Plus's Replicate option.

'Power Duplicate' is just same as COREL's "Replicate" option. PP's "Replicate" is different from it. If want want a 5 x 5 setups in a single step then PP/DP's REPLICATE is perfect.

As I am not So Called PRO user I like Plus's Replicate option.

Please don't misunderstand me, Arun. I like the Plus 'Replicate' option, too, but I can live with 'Power Duplicate'. If I want a grid instead of a line, it's only one extra step.

I've seen your work, and your forum posts about clients' requests, so I don't know how you can say you are not a 'Pro' user in both senses of the term. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Guest Arun Sarkar

Please don't misunderstand me, Arun. I like the Plus 'Replicate' option, too, but I can live with 'Power Duplicate'. If I want a grid instead of a line, it's only one extra step.

I've seen your work, and your forum posts about clients' requests, so I don't know how you can say you are not a 'Pro' user in both senses of the term. :)

OFF TOPIC :

I am not Pro, but commercial who use Plus Range still today & will adopt Affinity if I can install in my computer. By the way I got this Hobbyist-Pro concept 2 days ago from AndyS :)

I'm having more issues with version 1.5.0.5 than I did with the last version.

-The undo and redo shortcut keys stop working randomly and it's really annoying. 

-Snapping to objects does not work at times no matter what settings I use.

-There is a white border around the document even though the background completely covers the document. The white border changes when zooming in and out.

-The pen tool has input lag at times even though my computer has a Intel i7 processor, 8GB ram, GTX750 video card.

-The undo and redo shortcut keys stop working randomly and it's really annoying.

Are you sure it is just those 2 keys? I had an issue before when using the RIGHT ALT key and dragging, to duplicate an object all my keyboard short cuts went away. The LEFT ALT key worked fine. This happens repeatedly.

I now have the issue of keyboard short cuts all disappearing again, but I do not know what caused it to happen. - bug

AD 1.5.0.5

AD 1.5.1.43   /  AP 1.5.0.45

Windows 10 Pro 64bit  -  Intel i7 6700 @ 3.4GHz  -  nVidia GTX 970 4GB  -  32" Monitor 2560x1440  -  32 GB Ram

Cool adaptation!

Works fine with PDF from MOi3D, but not for Ai format (only arrives  a  Background PNG from export Ai) ?

What is your Ai admissible version ?

Here the PDF images

Other thing I have Only Line bottom help translated in French! :)
affinity_moi.jpg

Then colorized in Affinity...

pdf_aff.jpg

Is beautiful that please without concept!

Speedy Gallery

Cool adaptation!

Works fine with PDF from MOi3D, but not for Ai format (only arrives  a  Background PNG from export Ai) ?

What is your Ai admissible version ?

Here the PDF images

Other thing I have Only Line bottom help translated in French! :)

affinity_moi.jpg

Then colorized in Affinity...

pdf_aff.jpg

Hey Pilou, seems Affinity only supports PDF and newer AI versions that contain a PDF stream. I also tried to import old-style EPS-like AIs from Rhino, but AD can't load them, I also only get an empty file.

AFAIK Illustrator basically used a kind of EPS until version 8, which is what all the 3D software I know uses for vector export from/to that format.

I hope it will be supported at one point.

Cheers,

Tom

ScreenDream   |   Windows 8.1 x64 - 64 GB Ram - i7 6 core @ 4.1 GHz - GeForce GTX 1080 TI & GTX 980 Ti

Sure.

FieldLines is a file from Rhino created with Grasshopper. (http://www.rhino3d.com/  &  http://www.grasshopper3d.com/ ).

LorenzAttractor is exported from Moment of Inspiration (MoI: http://moi3d.com/gallery/) 

Both come in empty in AD.

All my other software reads them fine.

Cheers,

Tom

EDIT: It would also be good to be able to export to this Postscript based format to be able to bring things from AD to those CAD tools.

FieldLines.zip

LorenzAttractor.zip

ScreenDream   |   Windows 8.1 x64 - 64 GB Ram - i7 6 core @ 4.1 GHz - GeForce GTX 1080 TI & GTX 980 Ti

Hey Affinity,

Still enjoying the Designer beta (although it does still crash when I still try to choose a font despite removing some fonts I thought were causing that problem). Hopefully the next beta update can fix that problem.

Anyway, just wanted to show just how good Designer by linking to an update to a poster I did a few years in Affinity Designer.  This poster can be found on my DeviantArt profile click the link below to see it:

Enjoy:

http://monarch09.deviantart.com/art/Future-War-2016-Version-621503584?ga_submit_new=10%253A1468460853&ga_type=edit&ga_changes=1&ga_recent=1

Hey Affinity,

Still enjoying the Designer beta (although it does still crash when I still try to choose a font despite removing some fonts I thought were causing that problem). Hopefully the next beta update can fix that problem.

Anyway, just wanted to show just how good Designer by linking to an update to a poster I did a few years in Affinity Designer.  This poster can be found on my DeviantArt profile click the link below to see it:

Enjoy:

http://monarch09.deviantart.com/art/Future-War-2016-Version-621503584?ga_submit_new=10%253A1468460853&ga_type=edit&ga_changes=1&ga_recent=1

Hi James, we have fixed some more font issues in the next release, so you should definitely try that. If it still fails I can take a copy of your font folder and try it out here in order to identify the broken font (I'll delete them as soon as I've finished testing).

Sure.

FieldLines is a file from Rhino created with Grasshopper. (http://www.rhino3d.com/  &  http://www.grasshopper3d.com/ ).

LorenzAttractor is exported from Moment of Inspiration (MoI: http://moi3d.com/gallery/) 

Thanks. It looks like they aren't self-contained EPS. They use some resources with names like Adobe_packedarray. The library we use for importing EPS doesn't have definitions of them. We'll have a look to see if we can do anything about this, but no promises.

EDIT: It would also be good to be able to export to this Postscript based format to be able to bring things from AD to those CAD tools.

We can export in EPS, which may work.

Hi James, we have fixed some more font issues in the next release, so you should definitely try that. If it still fails I can take a copy of your font folder and try it out here in order to identify the broken font (I'll delete them as soon as I've finished testing).

If the problems still occurs after the next release, I am no problem send you a copy of my font folder.