You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Public Beta - 1.5.0.5 (Windows)

Where is .6?

Not here yet, apparently! :(

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Guest Arun Sarkar

There was a last minute problem with the build yesterday, we've now fixed that and are waiting to verify the new version before we release it. Hold tight, it won't be long :).

Hope won't be long for me to first run  :wub:

Rhino afaik uses the stoneage Illustrator 10 format for its Exporter and I wouldn't be surprised if MoI does the same.

As a workaround one may use pdf authoring tools to get curve data out. CAD users who want to re-use their existing

linework inside AD were likely served best with an option to import a widely used CAD exchange format, such as dxf.

DXF? Talking about stoneage formats... ;-)

It's actually Illustrator 8, after that they went to PDF.

And since it's an EPS format that is rather widespread with 3D apps, I don't think it would be a bad choice to support.

Cheers,

Tom

ScreenDream   |   Windows 8.1 x64 - 64 GB Ram - i7 6 core @ 4.1 GHz - GeForce GTX 1080 TI & GTX 980 Ti

It's actually Illustrator 8, after that they went to PDF.

And since it's an EPS format that is rather widespread with 3D apps, I don't think it would be a bad choice to support.

Ok, even Illustrator 8 then!

The limitation with that ancient .ai version in Pre Affinity Windows World was, that linework transfer indeed worked less than ideal,

the Rhino forum is full of such reports. Not sure whose fault this actually is, but when looking at the details it gets pretty obvious

that at least Adobe seems not to care any more about this legacy format: One may neither place Rhino authored .ai files in Illustrator

nor bring them into Photoshop. If Serif wanted to support the pre pdf AI format one should make things better.

DXF? Talking about stoneage formats... ;-)

Dxf may exist for a long time but it is an actively maintained format which every serious CAD app outputs anyway.

Ok, even Illustrator 8 then!

The limitation with that ancient .ai version in Pre Affinity Windows World was, that linework transfer indeed worked less than ideal,

the Rhino forum is full of such reports. Not sure whose fault this actually is, but when looking at the details it gets pretty obvious

that at least Adobe seems not to care any more about this legacy format: One may neither place Rhino authored .ai files in Illustrator

nor bring them into Photoshop. If Serif wanted to support the pre pdf AI format one should make things better.

Dxf may exist for a long time but it is an actively maintained format which every serious CAD app outputs anyway.

Well, I personally had never any problem importing AI from Rhino/Grasshopper/MoI into Illustrator CS6 so I don't know what problems may be there.

But I leave it to the developers of AD to decide what makes sense for them to support.

Right now I still have to use Illustrator for conversion.

I just tried DXF export from Rhino 5. It makes what would be a 9 MB AI into a 85 MB DXF, so at least the filesize is far from optimal since I work with rather large AIs going into the GBs sometimes. A PDF comes out as 1.6 MB but is pretty broken - I'll have to see why that is and how to fix it, but for the time being, I'd still prefer to simply be able to have AD read the Rhino/MoI AI format if it's not too much trouble to implement.

Let's see what happens.

Cheers,

Tom

ScreenDream   |   Windows 8.1 x64 - 64 GB Ram - i7 6 core @ 4.1 GHz - GeForce GTX 1080 TI & GTX 980 Ti

Hello

when selecting objects with surface pro 4 pen, I am not able to select anything with a single tap. With a pen, it requires a tap and drag around the entire object to select the object...

Single tap with a mouse works fine when selecting objects.

is this an issue with touch screens?

AD1.5.0.5

Windows10, Surface Pro 4

thanks

these forums are so confusing

yesterday i had ad programme working

to0day not....

have tried many times reinstalland uninstall

cancelling and starting again twice..but as you can see from the screenshot, i just get this rectangle on the right screen

can you help me please i am lost without your programme...lovepost-32327-0-55525600-1468747221_thumb.pngpost-32327-0-45126900-1468747233_thumb.png

Hello

when selecting objects with surface pro 4 pen, I am not able to select anything with a single tap. With a pen, it requires a tap and drag around the entire object to select the object...

Single tap with a mouse works fine when selecting objects.

is this an issue with touch screens?

AD1.5.0.5

Windows10, Surface Pro 4

thanks

Yes this is a known issue, we will have it fixed soon :).

Do I understand correctly that this is a Serif product?  If so I think it would be great if it would load and export .Spp files.

I just tried to load a .Spp file and it won't show up in the pop up of files after I pressed the "load" button and navigated to its location.  I had to export it as a .psd in Photo Plus X8 first.

I can understand some Serif products not flowing together but my opinion is that all the photo editing type of programs should.

This is just a thought but I'd like to hear from one of the developers what they think about it.

Hi Hydrology, welcome to the forums.

The link to the new beta download is in the first post of this thread. The download button in the app will always take you to the release thread for the current beta where you can download it from in Mark's comment as well as view the updates for each build

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com