You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey! I just bought Affinity Designer this week. I have some experience in Adobe Illustrator, but am fairly new to vector art.

I want to start selling vectors on Shutterstock and am working on a set of simple fruit and vegetable images to get familiar with vector creation and the process of exporting them in a format customers will be able to use. Shutterstock requires that vectors be uploaded as EPS files.

I tried uploading this as one of my first images:

7-5-16_fruit_n_veggies_peapod.afdesign

It got rejected because it contains bitmapping. Is this because I'm using an effect that gets rasterized that I'm not aware of, or is it because EPS rasterizes no matter what? Or is something else going on?

I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Setting the Rasterise option in the "more..." options dialog to "Nothing" generates a purely vector output.

I can see that large sections are getting rasterised with other settings but can't work out why at the moment

That was exactly the problem, I found another post about it while waiting for my original post to get approved. Thank you!

That option is a quick way to ensure nothing will be rasterised, but be aware that it may mean unsupported effect simply won't appear at all. Conical fills may become solid, shadows will disappear, transparencies may become opaque, etc. It does the best it can, but it's not magic.

The problem, in this particular case, with rasterization when exporting to EPS (well, one of the problems) is that anything in a layer set to Normal is being converted to an image. DEVs.....Is this by design? Switching to Passthrough fixes the rasterization problem on this file. (edit: also true with groups set to Normal)

But.... when I reopen the exported eps there are many more issues. There are artifacts everywhere.

post-12544-0-75681100-1467989297_thumb.jpg

Afaict it has everything to do with pressure strokes. Many of them aren't being respected. (Why some and not others I have no idea!)

In addition to the layer modes..... to fully "fix" (this file) I grabbed everything, expanded all strokes and then hit simplify. Then exported.

One warning though..... anything that gets expanded (even the automatic export with the artifacts) will have thousands of points in the eps.