Matej Junk

Subtle flickering when moving nodes of a line

Is this something that is still being worked on? I'm running the latest production version, v1.5.1.43, and I see line flickering when dragging nodes of shapes that have been converted to curves.

I see that the flickering lines still happen when manipulating nodes in v1.5.3.69. Is the plan to fix this during the v1.6 development cycle?

I've just tried out the beta version (1.6.0.87) and I'm surprised to see that this bug is still present. Considering how long v1.6 has been in development, I really thought it would have been fixed by now.

1 hour ago, neville said:

I've just tried out the beta version (1.6.0.87) and I'm surprised to see that this bug is still present. Considering how long v1.6 has been in development, I really thought it would have been fixed by now.

It's actually a complicated and reasonably dangerous fix to make, so other bugs have been prioritised ahead of it.

Bump on this one - like the brush interface issue I've written about countless times for probably two years now, this is a basic UX issue that makes the difference between Designer being a joy to use/go to application and something you only pull out now and again as it feels, effectively, unfinished and unloved.

It baffles me to some extent that efforts are being pushed into yet another new Affinity frontier (Publisher) when Designer - your bedrock application - clearly has a long way to go re. stability and usability. Do we have a timeline on either of these now elderly requests?

Thanks,

Peter

That as may be, but rather than a curt reply Mark, perhaps it would be more helpful to me and other users to offer a timeline and some promise of when this might be addressed. 

I am genuinely loathe to be 'that person' in steering Affinity toward solutions (solutions in its own interest!), but in the two years or so I've had Affinity in its guises on my system, two I feel important issues - the above and the issue with the brush preview - have been summarily dismissed or ignored. Two years. I do not think it is unfair of me, as a customer of Affinity, to shine some sort of light on its sense of priority to address the customers it already has, rather than seek out new ones.

You may indeed have a number of teams - you may have three, or five, or ten thousand - but two really very basic problems (one a bug, another a peculiar oversight/UX decision) persist. I think in all that time (and, as I see above, 37 posts!) I think I've had one reply from Affinity itself - two including your comment above, Mark. I feel it's a poor show. 

On 11/9/2018 at 2:44 PM, whitehead said:

That as may be, but rather than a curt reply Mark, perhaps it would be more helpful to me and other users to offer a timeline and some promise of when this might be addressed. 

I am genuinely loathe to be 'that person' in steering Affinity toward solutions (solutions in its own interest!), but in the two years or so I've had Affinity in its guises on my system, two I feel important issues - the above and the issue with the brush preview - have been summarily dismissed or ignored. Two years. I do not think it is unfair of me, as a customer of Affinity, to shine some sort of light on its sense of priority to address the customers it already has, rather than seek out new ones.

You may indeed have a number of teams - you may have three, or five, or ten thousand - but two really very basic problems (one a bug, another a peculiar oversight/UX decision) persist. I think in all that time (and, as I see above, 37 posts!) I think I've had one reply from Affinity itself - two including your comment above, Mark. I feel it's a poor show. 

I had replied to @neville earlier on the reasons why this issue hasn't been fixed yet - https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/21947-subtle-flickering-when-moving-nodes-of-a-line/&do=findComment&comment=244981

I realise you have frustrations due to issues affecting you not being fixed in a timely fashion, but you have to realise that we have lots of customers reporting different problems, and we need to prioritise and fix accordingly. As these issues aren't causing crashes, or loss of a user's work, they tend to get prioritised lower than other issues that come in (even if they come in after your issues were reported).

Out of the 16 posts in this thread, at the time of writing, 7 of the posts have been made by Serif staff. I like to think we do a good job communicating with our customers, even if we're saying things which aren't particularly helpful to you (i.e. sorry we haven't fix it yet).

We don't produce timelines, or promises of release dates, as having artificially enforced release dates compromises the quality of the software. We know this, because that's how we used to operate prior to the Affinity range of software.

The quality of the software and the satisfaction of our customers is incredibly important to us, so we thank you for your patience while we deal with these issues.

That is fair Mark, thank you for your response - my frustration is largely borne of the sheer all-in-one potential for Designer for my workflow, so it's impatience more than anything else. However, I would think there are more artists out there - albeit less whiny than me - who would be looking for precisely the same feature improvements. As soon as a good brush preview system is installed, I can predict Affinity starting to break through into the Artstation crowd and even greater business.

Cheers

Peter