You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there, 

I am very new at Photoshop, let alone Affinity Photo. I am exporting a PSD for someone, but when they go to edit the text, they can't. They can move it, delete it, but not edit the actual text. Is there something I am missing? A setting when I am exporting? 

Thank you for your advice and insight. 

Sarah E.

• 2 weeks later...

So does that mean that after saving, you can't edit in any of your formats? If I save a PDF, AFD or JPEG, I can't go back and edit anything! Also when/if I delete the content that not editable, enter new content that I want to outline, I can't do that either! Is it my lack of knowledge, or is th is not possible? Thanks for responding! While I have you, I also wanted to know why I can't sign in on 2 different devices after changing my password. Also, when I try to enter my own password after receiving your password that I should change, it just will not work. I have changed passwords so many times until I've lost count. I always have to find your email sent and sign in with that long password. Please help me with this! Thank you! Sorry to change the subject, but I figured I would kill 2 birds (not really) with one stone! I work between my IPad and my MAC book so that I can watch your tutorials! I wanted to edit the prices on the hi-lighted part. SM. 5.00. MED 8.00. LG. 12.00

Popncorn

So does that mean that after saving, you can't edit in any of your formats? If I save a PDF, AFD or JPEG, I can't go back and edit anything! Also when/if I delete the content that not editable, enter new content that I want to outline, I can't do that either! Is it my lack of knowledge, or is th is not possible? Thanks for responding! While I have you, I also wanted to know why I can't sign in on 2 different devices after changing my password. Also, when I try to enter my own password after receiving your password that I should change, it just will not work. I have changed passwords so many times until I've lost count. I always have to find your email sent and sign in with that long password. Please help me with this! Thank you! Sorry to change the subject, but I figured I would kill 2 birds (not really) with one stone! I work between my IPad and my MAC book so that I can watch your tutorials! I wanted to edit the prices on the hi-lighted part in BLUE! SM. 5.00. MED 8.00. LG. 12.00

Popncorn

Well I missed sending the picture. Getting to be too much!

post-24603-0-11682000-1468972513_thumb.jpg

• Staff

Hi popncorn,

When you create  a new document for the first time you have to save it as an .afdesign file. The program will ask you to do so in case you try to close the document before saving it or you can do this going to menu File ▸ Save As..., giving your document a name and clicking on the Save button.

This file contains all of you objects/adjustements/masks etc in editable format, so you can edit them later if you need to.

Besides this, you can export your work in other formats, compatible with other applications like PSD, PDF, JPG etc. These formats don't keep all your objects in editable format. Some only offer support for a few features or where created with a specific use in mind and as such their specifications don't offer support for certain things: for example JPG's don't offer support for transparency, layers or editable text, so when exporting, Affinity flattens all the layers into a single one - an image - where the text has become part of it. It's not possible to edit it normally as a text object as you were doing in your original document. In case of the PDF you can keep the text as an editable object. The PSD format also supports editable text however currently Affinity apps are not yet able to export the text as an editable object. This will be implemented later.

So the most important file you should keep to ensure you have all the objects editable as you created them originally is the .afdesign file which is Affinity Designer's native file format.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/5/2016 at 8:07 PM, MEB said:

Hello Sarah E.

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently we don't export text as native PSD text. This will be implemented in a future version but still may take some time until it's ready.

Hello there. Do you have a roadmap for this feature? As much as I love Affinity, a ton of people I send files to only use Photoshop/Illustrator. :( 

• Staff

Hi sumodevelopment,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
No, sorry. There's no eta/roadmap for this feature. As said above this is a very complex task that will take considerable time because Adobe's text engine is not documented anywhere (and the PSD format is also private/closed). So there's a lot of research/testing to be done before this becomes available.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...