I am completely new to Affinity Photo, having used Corel Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop Elements previously.

How do I partially rotate the image canvas by a specified fraction of a degree prior to cropping?

Regards, Martin.

I have looked through all of the videos and I haven't been able to find one that addresses masking a complex object such as a tree or object that has lots of undesired background within the borders of the object itself.  I have an image that needs to have the transfer of a tree from another image and replace the background.  It's a similar operation as the existing process in the video "Compositing Landscapes" I believe, except for the capture of the complex masking required.  Any suggestions as to where to look??

Hi Iam1of2,
Depending on the image's colors and contrast between foreground and background objects there may be other techniques you can use but overall using the Refine Selection dialog should help refining complex selections. Take a look at this video tutorial (Refining Selections) for more details.

I attempted the mask capture using your suggestion, and I have to say I was strongly impressed with the results and the ease of completing the process.  I consider the solution to my original inquiry fully satisfied.  Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

On 11/15/2016 at 7:20 PM, davidhopkinson said:

I don't see how a novice like myself can hope to learn Affinity Photo without a manual.

I like the tutorials, but I have to watch each one repeatedly, and make notes. 

To take notes, I start and stop the video repeatedly. It's tedious.

I feel as if I am writing the missing manual.

The tutorials are very well done, but are they the only way to learn Affinity Photo?

There are a few manuals or guidebooks out there. A simple Amazon search will reveal a few good options. Honestly, the most helpful thing for me in terms of learning Affinity photo was to just play around with the settings on a few decent photos I already had to see what features did in given situations. 

Thanks for the software it's brilliant

My question is why is it that every single photography magazine in the UK will only show tutorials on Adobe Photoshop 

With this software becoming more and more popular which magazine will support this ?

Brian 

Brian,  You don't seem to be aware that there are more than 200 Youtube/Vimeo video tutorials available on the Affinity Photo website forum.  They are by category and are very well done.  My question to the Affinity staff is basically how they will designate any changed videos to designate that the subject matter will address new versions.  Meanwhile, there is just a lot of information to digest.

Dear Forum ...

I'm a new user of Affinity Photo, having used Photoshop for some time.  I'm very impressed.  Thank you to you and all your team for the software, and for the clear and helpful tutorials.  I have a specific question today, and am not sure I'm posting in the right place, so please let me know if I need to go elsewhere for this ...

I have taken two separate photos, one featuring a person and the other not, which a web designer wants to use to animate (making the figure appear/disappear).  I locked the shots, but clearly not well enough because they don't register properly.  Is there a way I can lay one over the other, move them to register the images and then crop both accordingly?

Your help, or that of a colleague, would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I would put the Person on top and set the Layer opacity to Difference and look at the not-a-person parts of the image while I move it about. Just remember to have the Person layer selected. You might want to use the Transform Studio to do the moving.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 | Affinity Photo 1.6.7 | Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.330 | Affinity Photo beta 1.7.0.125 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.12

Dear Old Bruce,

Thanks for this swift and helpful response.  I'm afraid I'm too much of a beginner to get all of that in one go, however: if you're able and willing to let me know this in a more detailed way, I'd really appreciate it.  Step-by-step, in other words!  I tend to use this software as a darkroom, and haven't yet got my head around the intricacies of Layers etc.

Thanks in advance - but I quite understand if I'm asking too much.

3 minutes ago, Photochemical said:

I tend to use this software as a darkroom, and haven't yet got my head around the intricacies of Layers etc.

I suggest you go back to the first post of this topic on page 1 & look for the question "Q: I don't understand how layers work, any advice?" in the list. The answer links to two video tutorials you can watch that should give you a firm foundation for how they work.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

Dear Siavash,

I assume you're quoting my question because you have the same one!  If so, I would recommend going to the Affinity tutorial video on Stacks, which solved my problem. Good luck!

Incidentally, I'm really impressed with the videos: clear, no-nonsense, expert and thoughtful.

30 minutes ago, Photochemical said:

I assume you're quoting my question because you have the same one!

I’m not at all sure that that’s a safe assumption! Lifting the text from an existing post is a common technique employed by spammers so that they can establish a presence with innocuous posts which they later edit to introduce spam links.

Reported.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.12.86 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.2 (iPad Air 2)