Please help: where can I find a TEXT (not video based) instruction manual? I purchased Affinity for Mac ages ago and am trying to learn how to use it from scratch, with no experience in digital photo editing beyond basic iPhoto. I'm old school -- started developing my own film and printing in a dark room.  I need Affinity for Dummies, starting with the basics. Usually I'm fine with tech -- I build and run web sites -- but I am defeated by Affinity, and the help available from colleagues is aimed at Photoshop/Lightroom users.

I find the videos linked from your site are too long and too slow for basic tasks any technical writer could explain in a paragraph.

But worst of all, the screens on your tutorial videos do not correspond to the Affinity 1.5 version on screen on my MacBook Pro -- which is, frankly, crazy making.  Please consider that not all of your learners are visual/audio oriented. Some of us prefer to learn via text.

I'm willing to put in time -- which is scarce in my life -- to learn Affinity before abandoning you, but not the hours required to listen to your long lectures on video that do not correspond to my software.

In the masks and refine tutorial video, you make a reference to holding the "modify key" to make refinements.

What is and where can I find the modify key?

In regards to editing in RAW. I went to the raw topic and it is locked so I am unable to ask a question. My question being in the lists of cameras my basic cannon rebes xs in not listed. So I am assuming I am unable to edit in RAW is this correct?

Hi

I am a long time Light Room user and would like to switch to AP.

In LR, I can open (import) several raw files which appear as a film strip at the bottom of the work space.

In AP, I do not find that function.

When I open multiple raw files in AP, The app locks up and requires a forced shut down and restart.

Any help with this problem is appreciated.

Regards,,  Tad Arnold

Hi Tad,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Photo doesn't manage photo libraries as Lightroom. It's a RAW converter/developer and photo editing/painting app comparable to Adobe Photoshop + Adobe Camera RAW, not a DAM software similar to Lightroom or Apple Aperture. It can only edit one photo at a time, although you can have more than one document open if you need to copy/move elements/layers between them.

Great stuff for the old version. I did use the info. Anything on the latest and greatest Windows Photo 1.5.2  Many changes w/o explanation. I feel like, "Hey! You're on your own. Go figure out what we did with some features." Cropping and its options are just one area as an example.

CJW32!,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

As MEB said in your thread ( https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/40949-152-windows/) , there are lots of tutorials on new and existing features. Your tone implies you are struggling, so just create a thread and you will be guided to an answer. It's simply unfair to say that you are on your own

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Can Affinity provide an update buttom which tells us the version we are running is the most up to date release. Having checked it tells me I am running 1.5.2.69 which I believe is the lates up date.

My nikon df camera, raw format to upload to icloud, import photo gray can not import, which is why? My iPad pro 9.7 ios10.3.3 system

Hi greenoryam,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is not possible in Affinity Photo. You can only compare the image with itself after applying adjustments/filters (for before/after comparisons). Affinity Photo is not a DAM software. It's a RAW converter/developer and photo editing app similar to Photoshop + Adobe Camera RAW, not Lightroom or Apple Aperture. It doesn't manage libraries, nor compare photos or apply the same settings to a bunch of images at once as DAM software is able to. We have plans to develop our own DAM software but it will still take quite some time until we get there.

In the intro video you shown something called the "inpainting brush". I can not find this in my toolbar. Do I have an old version or something? I did downloade it yesterday.

Hi ,

I am a 74yr old complete novice as regards photo editing and have just downloaded the trial version for Mac.

Delighted to see so many video tutorials, but the downside I can see is that the 10 day trial period will not be long enough for me to evaluate if I can master the programme well enough to warrant purchasing.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this and comments from any other complete novices who are now using.

(Originally posted in 

Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials (200+))

… to evaluate if I can master the programme well enough to warrant purchasing.

Well, this is somewhat difficult to answer, for you would have to detail what you would like to do with Affinity Photo. The application, as it stands, can be used in very different ways. As far as basic tasks like enhancing photographs, inpainting, cropping, and exporting are concerned, I am pretty sure you will be able to master the program in a short time, for it is cleverly organized and very accessible, in my opinion. But it would be helpful, if you were able to provide a little more detail regarding the objectives you intend to achieve with the application.

And don’t forget, this forum is very responsive, so if you should be hitting a roadblock while learning the app, you will certainly find a kind soul to help you out …  ;)

Cheers, 

Alex  :)

Hi,

I have just purchased Affinity Photo and a complete novice at photo editing.

Have started with Preferences > Colours and am at a complete loss as to what "profiles" I should choose. Any advice would be appreciated. I haven't seen any tutorials or advice dealing with this subject.

I have an iMac 27in, late 2012 model. My digital camera is a Nikon D3200 with a Tamron 18-270mm zoom lens. My printer is a Canon Pixma MG7150.

Don't know if that helps or affects what profiles to enter in the 6 drop down choices of profiles.

I assume the correct choices are important.

Thank you.

Hi Golfer11

I was a complete novice, like you, and started from scratch about 6 months ago. You've probably worked this out for yourself by now but I think the choice of profiles is for a level of sophistication way beyond what I need to worry about!

If it helps, I purchased, for a reasonable fee, an online course at Udemy.com on using Affinity.  It has really helped filling in some of the gaps that exist between the tutorials provided here and so got me off the ground very well.  Worth checking it out.  

Hi I am very new to Affinity and have just watched the intro video ( vimeo). This showed a tool bar numbered with straighten etc on it. I can't get this to display? Any help welcome! 

Thanks - 

loopybear

I recently had my Mac completely wiped and rebuilt - and now, I have the new version of Affinity. I am an amateur photographer, only wanting basic editing tools, and the old version which I used within iPhoto was exactly what I needed. Now, I can't seem to get the same edits done, and it all seems more difficult and confusing. 

I know Ill probably just have to learn how to use the program properly, but I wondered if anyone could tell me - can I get back an older version of the app? I might have first downloaded it 6 months ago. 

thanks

Is there any tutorial where you can save your work for later and then start from where you left ?

I saved my work as .afphoto but next time when I am trying to open the file I am getting error invalid file type.

This might seem a simple question but as a Lightroom user thinking of moving from Adobe to Affinity, how to people store their RAW images outside Lightroom. Does Affinity have a catalogue feature at present?

Is a Lightroom catalogue transfer option likely to form part of Affinity at any time in the future?

Hi HFNotts,

Affinity Photo does not possess any DAM functionality as Lightroom. It's a RAW converter/developer and photo editor more comparable to Adobe Camera RAW + Adobe Photoshop, so it doesn't manage libraries nor saves RAW edits to external XMP sidecar files or save these them to a database. We have plans to develop a DAM application in the future but there's still a long way until we get there.

OK MEB, thank you, I understand that.

Do you recommend/suggest how to import RAW files (Fuji X in my case) and where to store them on the computer.  Its probably a naive query but as a long term Adobe user I need to think this through before deciding to come to Affinity.  I do use Serif Page Plus and Wen Plus so am a loyal customer!

30 minutes ago, MEB said:

We have plans to develop a DAM application in the future but there's still a long way until we get there.

+1:)

for the time being, it would suffice if the development steps of RAW,
in a file written will
So that the RAW-development can be edited afterwards.

Best Reagrds

Gnobelix

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135 :  Affinity Photo-Beta  1.7.0.188 :     Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135 : Affinity Designer-Beta 1.7.0.188.

Affinity Publisher-Beta 1.7.0.174       Windows 10 Pro  ( version  1803 Build 17134.407)