James Ritson

Photo
Photo FAQs Answered With Tutorials

68 posts in this topic

This thread contains a variety of commonly asked questions ranging from straightforward tasks to more technically demanding operations. We've worked hard on providing lots of tutorial content - you can see all the videos at affin.co/PhotoVids - and we hope you find the videos useful in getting to grips with the app.

Let's begin!

---

Q: I'm completely new to image editing, where do I start?

A: Check out our Beginners Series! You can also download practice files used in the videos.

---

Q: How do I copy and paste a part of one image into another image?

A: See Cutting Out.

---

Q: How do I make some basic adjustments to my images?

A: See these videos:

---

Q: There’s no write-up or documentation about the app and its tools!

A: There is, it’s in-app. We keep it up to date and make sure it’s comprehensive. See Accessing Help.

---

Q: How do I resize an image?

A: See Image/Canvas Resize.

---

Q: Where's the option to transform/scale/rotate layers?

A: Check out Scaling and Transforming.

---

Q: How do I export my images from Photo?

---

Q: How do I remove unwanted elements from an image?

A: Use the Inpainting Brush.

---

Q: I just want to make my image black and white, can I do that?

A: You can: Creative Black and White.

---

Q: I want to change the colour of somebody's eyes, what's the easiest approach?

A: Try one of these two techniques explored in Changing Eye Colour.

---

Q: Can I add text/watermarking to my images?

A: Yes, see Text: Watermarking/Branding.

---

Q: How do I get started with Frequency Separation and retouching?

---

Q: I can't recover highlights very well with RAW files, any tips?

A: Try using a Custom Tone Curve and Maximising your Raw Latitude.

---

Q: Can I merge bracketed exposures to HDR images?

A: You bet, Photo's 32-bit support in general is really comprehensive. Check these out:

---

Q: I don't understand how layers work, any advice?

A: Try Layer Concepts first, then watch Layers Overview.

---

Q: Any further tips and tricks on layers?

A: Yes, find out how Layer Nesting works, and how to alter nesting behaviour with Layer Creation Behaviour.

---

Q: What are live filter layers and how do I use them?

A: See Live Filter Layers.

---

Q: I'm into focus stacking, can Photo do that?

A: Yes, in Photo it's called focus merging. See these videos:

---

Q: Adjusting shadows and highlights isn't very effective, any ideas?

A: We have a much more effective filter rather than the adjustment, see Shadows/Highlights.

---

Q: I really don’t understand DPI and Resolution, what the are the differences, which should I be changing?

A: See Understanding DPI.

---

Q: What is stacking and what can I do with it?

A: See these examples:

---

Q: Does Photo have perspective correction?

A: Yes, you can even do it non-destructively, see Live Perspective.

---

Q: Is there a "Blend If" equivalent?

A: Yes, and it can be logarithmic, see Blend Ranges.

---

Q: Can you stitch and edit panoramas?

A: You can, see these videos:

---

Q: I'm stitching architectural images using the Panorama feature and the architecture (building/structure) is all distorted, can I fix it?

A: You can use the Mesh Warp tool, see Panorama Distortion Correction.

---

Q: What about making selections, refining them, masking, etc?

A: All supported, see:

---

Q: And channels, do you support them?

A: Certainly, see:

---

Q: If Photo has 32-bit float support, surely it must support OpenEXR and OpenColorIO?

A: Why yes, it does!

---

Q: I’m struggling with keyboard shortcuts and improving my workflow, any tips?

A: Give these a try:

---

Q: How can I have a non-destructive workflow?

A: These videos highlight non-destructive techniques and operations:

---

Q: Can I simply align multiple images for analysis purposes?

A: Yes, you can align them through stacking then remove the stack, see Aligning Images.

---

Q: I want to learn about Photo’s more advanced features, what should I watch?

A: Give these a try:

---

Q: What is fast fourier transform denoising and what can I use it for?

A: Check out FFT Denoise.

More than 200 Affinity Photo Video Tutorials - Affinity Photo for iPad Tutorials

Looking for a manual/documentation? Check affinity.help for online help!

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more

500px for photography edited in Affinity Photo

Thank you, James.  That should be very helpful to the newbies.  And also to some of the oldies (ahem) who haven't yet conquered all of Photo's many capabilities.

Hello James,

Can you help? I have been playing with Photo, where I cut, paste, group and repeat. Trying to make a sort of patchwork. My problem is I want the joins to be exact, instead I am left with a small gap. What to do ?

Hi Georgia, try turning on Snapping - find the red magnet icon with white tips and activate it (it's along the top toolbar to the right). You should then find when you're dragging layers that they snap to the edges of each other. Hope that helps!

More than 200 Affinity Photo Video Tutorials - Affinity Photo for iPad Tutorials

I need a tutorial on using the print persona.

Kind regards,

David

I need a tutorial on using the print persona.

Kind regards,

David

Hi David, not sure what you mean by the print persona (such a thing doesn't exist), are you referring to the standard OSX print dialog that Affinity uses? Most layout and colour management options are available though that. A tutorial on using the print dialog would certainly be valuable though.

IanC and Chrismag11 like this

Hi James.   You got it!   I am using the  standard OSX print dialog that Affinity uses.   And it is anything but standard for my Epson Pro 9900.   Lots of variables, and as I wrote previously, placing an image where I need it on the printed substrate is hit and miss.

James, are you the voice of the tutorials?    I sure need them.

Will you be creating a tutorial on printing?   For the Epson Pro 9900 and others?

And, I thank you for the help.

Kind Regards,

D

I don't see how a novice like myself can hope to learn Affinity Photo without a manual.

I like the tutorials, but I have to watch each one repeatedly, and make notes. 

To take notes, I start and stop the video repeatedly. It's tedious.

I feel as if I am writing the missing manual.

The tutorials are very well done, but are they the only way to learn Affinity Photo?

LilleG likes this

Hi davidhopkinson,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Help file also describes all features/functionality of the application in detail. Don't overlook it.

We are also working on a workbook/official guide to be released later similarly to what we have done for Affinity Designer.

LilleG and PeanutsA like this

James,

Thanks for the great tutorials!

Question: I have a file with several pixel layers, I cut out and stacked on a background the purpose was to move a group of people onto a better background from a RAW image file. I tried to re-adjust a layer after that step in Affinity Photo and the adjustment layer would not after the pixel layer immediately below. Why is that and how can it be adjusted after placement? 

MBP 2017, MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2  

http://techworkspro.com 

techworks pro_v3_300x40p.png

Hi Techworks Pro

Is the Adjustment layer nested to the pixel layer (is it a child of the layer)? If so it only affects that layer not the others below. If you want it to affect all layer below, drag it from its thumbnail to outside of the parent pixel layer. It will then affect all the layers below.

Admittedly a newbie, I have tried to search the Q&A topics for stacking of exposures to solve focus issues and thus improve depth of focus.  I haven't seen this addressed as such.  Does Photo do this?  

Hi Techworks Pro

Is the Adjustment layer nested to the pixel layer (is it a child of the layer)? If so it only affects that layer not the others below. If you want it to affect all layer below, drag it from its thumbnail to outside of the parent pixel layer. It will then affect all the layers below.

Hi MEB,

I am aware of that and no, it is not nested. My problem seems to be related to the cutout portion- that doesn't seem to be stored with the pixel layer nor the adjustment layer, rather somehow exists on its own.

If I start by using a smart brush tool to outline an area to cut out an image then make an adjustment (layer) using it, the cutout dashed lines remain showing in front and do NOT go to the layer where the adjustment reside. So, if I want to make a new adjustment the old adjustment dashed lines remains. Is this normal? 

How do I save the cut marks so I can work with that layer later on, non-destructively? 

MBP 2017, MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2  

http://techworkspro.com 

techworks pro_v3_300x40p.png

Hi Techworks Pro,

Without seeing the file/layer structure it's difficult to guess what's going on. The "cutout portion" must be in a layer somewhere.

When you use the Selection Brush Tool to create a selection and then add an Adjustment layer, your selection will be automatically converted to a mask for the Adjustment layer (look at the thumbnail of the adjustment in the Layers panel - the selection area is represented as white there). So you don't need to keep the existing marching ants ("the cutout dashed lines") active anymore. To remove them (deselect the selection) press ⌘ (cmd) + D. You can then create a new selection to use with a different adjustment.

Regarding saving selections:

If you want to save a selection for later use you can do so saving it as a Spare Channel (alpha channel). Here's how to do it: with the selection active go to menu Select ▸ Save Selection ▸ As Spare Channel. The selection is stored at the bottom of the Channels panel as a new 'Spare Channel'. If you need to load it later, go to the Channels panel, right-click the Spare Channel you saved and select Load to Pixel Selection. The saved selection will become active again.

Chaplain Mark and brunzenstein like this

Dear All,

I relatively new to affinity photo and I am looking for a tutorial where I can merge multiple exposure of one single image in HDR 32bit. I think I saw this once as a preview for the now out affinity 1.5 but I can't find it anymore. Any help would be highly appreciated. 

Best wishes,

Jochen 

Hi Jochen, check the first post  ;) or better yet, check out the tutorial thread here: http://affin.co/PhotoTuts- HDR tutorials are under section 12. The thread is worth bookmarking as it gets updated regularly. There are already several HDR merge/retouching tutorials for you to view.

Hope that helps!

Hi, thanks for the tutorials. They are very helpful.

I have a question: Recently I tried to selectively reduce the noise in the Develop Persona using an overlay. What i noticed is, that the noise reduction was done on the whole image even though the overlay was selected and not the master. What can I do to selectively reduce noise in Develop Persona?

Win7 Pro 64 Bit, Intel Core i5-3550 (4x 3,3 GHz), 32GB Ram

you may have already covered this but i'm a newbie ( downloaded yesterday ) how do i save an image in jpeg to be opened by any other software like say apple's preview ? i only have the trail version at the moment, I'm a seasoned aperture user looking for a replacement.

Raymondbound likes this

you may have already covered this but i'm a newbie ( downloaded yesterday ) how do i save an image in jpeg to be opened by any other software like say apple's preview ? i only have the trail version at the moment, I'm a seasoned aperture user looking for a replacement.

Go to File>Export and select JPG from the options there.  And welcome to the Forum.  There are lots of friendly and helpful people here who will try to answer any questions you may have.

john garrett likes this

Very helpful also for me, I bought AP 1.5 for Windows. I look for a list of shortcuts for the PC Version because some shortcuts of HELP-Panel are Apple like. Example: The true shortcut for thickness and hardness of a brushs is:
Alt+LeftMousepad+RightMousepad