You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failure to open multiple files from Explorer

If I open AD, then open a number of files, each file is shown in its own tab - excellent.

If I select a .afdesign in Explorer, it opens as expected. However, no more files will open.

Typically I want to open two (or more) files simultaneously from Explorer - I find it easier to use the Explorer interface than application interfaces (not just AD). In AD only the first file selected opens. I have to go into the AD instance and open any further files from inside the app. Since, as others have posted, the folder chosen by AD as its initial search location is not necessarily the last accessed folder (haven't tried to get my head around the logic here yet!) this operation can waste a lot (relative) of time. It certainly adds to the "melting ear wax" syndrome ;)

It would also be nice if all working files could be closed in AD without closing the app. (cf CorelDraw!). 

• Staff

Hi Ralph,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Dragging the files over the GUI without any document open, open them as new documents. If there's a document open, you can drag them over the GUI to open the files as new documents.

Dragging the files over an existing document (workspace area) will add them as new layers.

Thanks MEB and Pesala,

Even this mechanism seems to work differently from all the other packages I've used. I don't know if it works this way for everyone, but I have to drag over the TAB bar in the GUI to open two files. Dragging onto the workspace adds the second file to the first (as with PhotoPlus).  

However, my point was that a standard mechanism for opening multiple files doesn't (appear to) work. That is, double click in the Explorer window, as in (say) PhotoPlus.

Hi Ralph

Not being to open files form explorer whilst the app is open is actually a bug that we already have logged. A close all function is also something that was raised early in the pre-beta phase so we too have that logged

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.