Sign in to follow this  
NW Stonewise

Changing a Photo into a Black and White Line Drawing

There may already be this question being answered somewhere else but I did not see it. I would like to be able to take photographs and change them into black and white line drawings but keeping a lot of the detail which gets lost in just "tracing" the image as well as I need rather solid lines and often they don't turn out solid enough...I am pretty illiterate when it comes to these programs so if you have a very simple (dumb downed) way to do so I would SO appreciate it!! Thank you!!

I have attached a photo and one of the drawings that someone else did for me so you can see what I mean...

post-32832-0-93354800-1467591613_thumb.jpg

post-32832-0-20755200-1467591615_thumb.jpg

Here's a quick go -

1. Filter>Detect>Detect Edges

2. Layer>Invert

3. Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Black& White Adjustment

post-13841-0-21734400-1467636061_thumb.jpg

By the way, I know the result wasn't exactly the same as the hand drawn, but you can start with the B&W adjustment first, increase the contrast or play with other things to get what you are after, there are many ways to go about it in Photo.