You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer is not Affinity Photo

Yay! Now that I switched emails, I get notified of new replies....I should be able to see your responds now.

No, if 'magic selection' is like what you get in the Cutout Studio, it only allows you to delete whatever you've magically selected. Crucially, it doesn't intelligently replace it with a copy of the surrounding area: if you use inpainting on a person swimming in a lake you get water where the person was, but if you use something like Cutout Studio you just get a transparent hole.

I thought Cutout Studio did that same thing, but maybe not. By magic selection, I mean a specific tool that Corel PaintShop Pro has. It will cutout its painted regions and merge whatever is around it to make it look like there was never anything there. Kind of like the example you mentioned.

I presume so. I don't shoot raw (and until a couple of years ago I didn't even have a camera that could be tweaked to shoot raw) so I'm largely speaking from a position of ignorance, but my understanding is that raw formats vary not only between manufacturers but from one model to the next.

Well now I know. My brother probably knows a lot about it. He snaps a lot of micro shots with a very specific camera with a heck of a zooming lens.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I thought Cutout Studio did that same thing, but maybe not. By magic selection, I mean a specific tool that Corel PaintShop Pro has. It will cutout its painted regions and merge whatever is around it to make it look like there was never anything there. Kind of like the example you mentioned.

Ah, OK. In that case, magic selection is like content-aware fill or inpainting. Cutout Studio is more like a dynamic flood eraser.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so RAW data is the default picture quality from the right kind of digital camera, and users were concerned that the program wasn't able to read this quality?

Absolutely! I disagree with the comparison of raw to an undeveloped negative and jpeg to the fully processed photograph, at least not as they come out of the camera. Jpeg is a lossy compression format. That means it throws away some of the image data. Actually, it throws away a lot of it based on the (questionable, imho) assumption that the untrained eye (which in itself is a silly expression, it is the brain that may or may not be trained, not the eye) won’t see any difference.

And in the camera you have no control over what data it throws away. It is fine for vacation photographers who perhaps really cannot tell the difference anyway, or simply don’t know their camera may be capable of giving them much more. It is, however, completely unacceptable for professional photographers who want to have complete control over their pictures.

Raw is what the camera sees. It is uncompressed and unedited. It is huge, too. It is the difference between a Rolls Royce and a Chevy. Personally, I have my camera configured to give me both, raw and jpeg, of each picture. And I decide whether the jpeg will do for whatever I am doing or whether I need to work with the raw data and, only after editing it, create a jpeg to deliver to others.

Well then, I'm really happy to see that Affinity Photo has it.

It's probably a little off topic, but suppose I had a lossy image I brought into the program that was not a RAW image. Would there be a way to make it look like one? Something I really want to learn is how to enhance picture quality so well so the simplest details are shown.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff

Hi bleduc,

You can improve the "look/appearance" of any lossy image to enhance it visually but you can't recover it's original quality (fidelity) unless you take the photo again. If the details are lost due to heavy compression or other issues there isn't much you can do recover them to their original state. Make sure you always start with the best source material possible. In the case of a digital cameras that would be the RAW format.

That's what I understand, though I don't get how old movies for example are able to have much better picture quality in modified versions. As it was explained to me, the original clip from the projector is used and is not edited over and over in modified movies. However, when VHS became DVD, DVD became Blu-Ray, and now Blu-ray is becoming Ultra Violet, I feel like there's some catch to it that we, consumers, don't yet know. I don't mean with software; just picture quality in general.

bleduc, I've heard about how they brought the old Star Trek TNG series to HD. They used the original film rolls and rescanned them. They also applied some algorithms on the pictures but the main point is that they discarded all compressed copies and restarted from the original material. All digital effects had to be recreated, too, because they had first been done in the low TV resolution.

And I believe it to be true. What I don't get is when placing a DVD into a blu-ray player, the quality looks better than it did on the DVD player. Somehow, the original picture is improved. Whatever capabilities these new devices have, they are not provided for personal use. There are blu-ray player software, but the compatibility is always limited compared to the real thing.

There are different algorithms for upscaling raster images. The dumbest and quickest is nearest neighbour which some PC monitors implement. Then come a few others of which I don't know the names. And finally you can analyse each frame, detect edges, try to be smart and handle it like a vector image, then do the scaling and rasterise it again. I believe the last comes near to what professional HDTV stations do with SD material but it requires a lot of computational power, especially if done in real time and with no lag if possible.

As to your question, the new devices probably have a faster GPU that allows for better image quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot understand why this important issue is not explained clearly immediately as user statement about the differences.

The confusion comes out due to the fact that all the tutorials refer tho Affinity Photo; I did realized the difference after of many hours of trials.

Moreover in Affinity Designer Beta version for Windows there are tolls that are listed among the commands, but they do not work in AD, such as the CROP TOOL.

I have not yet undersood the kind of use for Affinity Designer and why there shoul be a difference with Affinity Photo.

all the tutorials refer to Affinity Photo

Please see the replies to your previous post about this.

there are tools that are listed among the commands, but they do not work in AD, such as the CROP TOOL

The Crop Tool in Affinity Designer does work, but it is a vector crop tool, so it does not work in the same way as the Crop Tool in Affinity Photo.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE I need Affinity Photo for Windows.. launch the beta soon so I can avoid to buy Photoshop and i'll buy your product...P L  E A S E :-)

I'm looking forward to it as well, but as promised by the Serif team, the first beta will come to Windows as soon as the Designer betas are complete. They estimated that it will be done before this year is over. That's soon!  :D

I can understand your struggle. I've been in an art/software slump for years, and I've been experimenting with various programs, and I just couldn't get into any. Then I realized Designer was on its way to Windows. What a shock that was. The point is, time, although is my weakness, is a very precious thing. Photo will be here before you know it.  ;)

PLEASE I need Affinity Photo for Windows.. launch the beta soon so I can avoid to buy Photoshop and i'll buy your product...P L  E A S E :-)

I'm looking forward to it as well, but as promised by the Serif team, the first beta will come to Windows as soon as the Designer betas are complete. They estimated that it will be done before this year is over. That's soon!  :D

I can understand your struggle. I've been in an art/software slump for years, and I've been experimenting with various programs, and I just couldn't get into any. Then I realized Designer was on its way to Windows. What a shock that was. The point is, time, although is my weakness, is a very precious thing. Photo will be here before you know it.  ;)

Agree. As Leonardo da Vinci once said to an impatient pope, "It's finished, when it's finished!" Let them do there work. You'll be the first to know! ;)

Affinity Designer 2.0.0 Windows  · Affinity Photo 2.0.0 Windows  ·  Windows 11 Pro 64-bit   ·  AMD Ryzen 9-3900X 12-Core 3.80Ghz  ·  16Gb RAM   ·  Asus DUAL-RTX2070-O8G-EVO-V2 

Agree. As Leonardo da Vinci once said to an impatient pope, "It's finished, when it's finished!" Let them do there work. You'll be the first to know! ;)

I thought it was Michelangelo Buonarotti telling that to Pope Julius II.  :P Or should I say Charlton Heston to Rex Harrison (The Agony and the Ecstasy, 1965)?

I thought it was Michelangelo Buonarotti telling that to Pope Julius II.  :P Or should I say Charlton Heston to Rex Harrison (The Agony and the Ecstasy, 1965)?

Actually I watched the movie again & it was Charlton Heston! ;)

Affinity Designer 2.0.0 Windows  · Affinity Photo 2.0.0 Windows  ·  Windows 11 Pro 64-bit   ·  AMD Ryzen 9-3900X 12-Core 3.80Ghz  ·  16Gb RAM   ·  Asus DUAL-RTX2070-O8G-EVO-V2 

• 3 weeks later...

It seems to me, from the way I have used DrawPlus and PhotoPlus for a few years that I must really wait until Affinity Photo arrives to fully enjoy Affinity Designer. It is and has for some time been a pleasure to combine those to create fascinating title graphics for videos and I really have no wish to transfer from Win10 to Mac. This comment is made with positive intent though it looks as though it will be some time yet before I can use these new programmes in that way. One reason is that it is now necessary to create textures in photo software to apply to graphics and text in Affinity Designer (which is normal for 3D software), whereas in DrawPlus they could often be manipulated within the software.

I do appreciate that this is a more sophisticated drawing programme but is way behind (extortionately expensive since losing academic status) Adobe products even so. Perhaps a bit negative.

It has been instructive and interesting to participate in the betas but I have found no serious difficulties on my PC other than slowness. However, my participation was limited because from July to October I was travelling extensively so was unable to really add much useful.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let people know, since nobody has posted the informantion in this topic yet: the first beta of Affinity Photo for Windows went public today :)

I already downloaded but didn't have time yet to start playing with it. The only thing I did so far was run to see if it installed ok and tried opening a RAW file from my Panasonic DMC-FZ18, and it worked :)

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/34-affinity-photo-on-windows-beta/

Hi,

We notice that a number of users are complaining that certain features (Inpainting brush, RAW develop, Document Crop, etc.) are not available in the current Affinity Designer beta..

There is a good reason for this - the product we have released is "Affinity Designer" (vector editor, graphic design tool).

So, to anyone looking for our fully-featured photo editing application - "Affinity Photo" - this is not the beta you were looking for!!

Affinity Photo on Windows will enter public beta for Windows later this year - you should wait for that announcement email if you want those things..

I recognise and appreciate that our marketing people made this far from obvious - and will apologise (on their behalf) for that.

Thanks,

Andy.

Affinity Photo Beta for Windows  is OUT NOW