You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer is not Affinity Photo

For Mac, not Windows.

Thanks, Mark. I was assuming that the Windows version would come several months after the OS X one.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Also was confused so im glad i found this tread. I signed up and downloaded affinity designer beta and works great so far, but what im interested the most is Affinity Photo for Windows (of course).

How to get info when A Photo will be available, will you send me an email?

Thanks!

Just to join in with an opinion on this I prefer to work with separate programmes that are capable of good exchange, having also been working with graphics extensively since 1986. Please don't bundle Photo and Designer together! This really does cause headaches.

Michael

Affinity Designer, Photo, Publisher &... may I suggest Affinity Video, too?  ;) 

Just a thought!  :) 

Affinity Designer 2.0.0 Windows  · Affinity Photo 2.0.0 Windows  ·  Windows 11 Pro 64-bit   ·  AMD Ryzen 9-3900X 12-Core 3.80Ghz  ·  16Gb RAM   ·  Asus DUAL-RTX2070-O8G-EVO-V2 

Ok, as far as we're talking retouching features, I would rather agree. Although I'd love to have it all in one, but ok - understandable and acceptable. But document crop ... come on ... this is basic for everything.

Ok, as far as we're talking retouching features, I would rather agree. Although I'd love to have it all in one, but ok - understandable and acceptable. But document crop ... come on ... this is basic for everything.

There is the Vector Crop Tool, and the Artboard Tool. Depending on what kind of document cropping you're talking about.

There is the Vector Crop Tool, and the Artboard Tool. Depending on what kind of document cropping you're talking about.

None of these. I need the equivalent of changing the size from the Document setup with "Objects will anchor to page" selected. Addin "Crop document to selected artboard" option somehow (maybe on the artboard context toolbar) will solve this in a very natural way, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Not very impressed so far. Lots of inelegant controls and difficulty in finding tools etc. Very poor zoom control compared to pageplus. Have found a number of bugs, most of which were found in the first couple of hours use. Will stick to the normal serif stuff for the time being thanks.

Not very impressed so far. Lots of inelegant controls and difficulty in finding tools etc. Very poor zoom control compared to pageplus. Have found a number of bugs, most of which were found in the first couple of hours use. Will stick to the normal serif stuff for the time being thanks.

Care to share any of the bugs you've found (I've seen your post about the UI gamma slider, which is a known issue and will be fixed soon)? It's pretty difficult to fix stuff if people don't let us know what's wrong. And, as this is a beta test, issues are to be expected.

One of the great plus points of using the Affinity range is the uncluttered UI with most options being on surface level. Combining all the apps into a single one would cluster the UI and make it feel bloated. Also as MEB mentioned previously, the apps are designed to seamlessly share the same file type with the options still editable in each app. Removing any code would prevent this.

Hi,

please, don't take me wrong, but I would like to comment about this emphasized text in red color. For that purpose I musr compare Affinity apps with PhotoLine v.19.51, which is:

• all-in-one app for Windows and MacOS;
  • portable;
  • It can run on x32 and x64 platforms;
  • 21.1 MB instalation code;
  • 41.8 MB on disk on Windows (without its x32 executable file which is 15.9 MB), and few more on MacOS (I don't know how much exactly);
  • extremely fast.

So, even if we consider it as a bitmap app only, because its vector and DTP capabilities are not at a high level, it is extremely slim app comparing with 600 MB of AD (because there is no AP for Windows yet, I can't compare its size with AP).

My oppinion is that its completelly written in assembler.

Still, I love Affinity app(s) and I am going to buy them as they appear on Windows.

Thanks guys.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Illustrator, for example is tremendously confusing. A lot of panels, so many panels that do a lot of things. Affinity Designer can do the same things faster and simpler than Illustrator. The routines and options are simpler and clever.

I don't agree with this at all.  I'm having the opposite experience.  I'm sure there are some things that Designer can do which are faster and simpler than Illustrator, but the opposite is also true.  For my work, I can't get much done in Serif Designer without heading back over to Illustrator.

Is there a page/post anywhere describing the mapping of the Serif *Plus products onto the Affinity products, along with tentative timeline on Windows?

I also was a little confused - I had been hoping for a PagePlus update and Designer clearly isn't that, and it sounds like Photo also isn't.

Thanks,

Ian

Is there a page/post anywhere describing the mapping of the Serif *Plus products onto the Affinity products, along with tentative timeline on Windows?

I also was a little confused - I had been hoping for a PagePlus update and Designer clearly isn't that, and it sounds like Photo also isn't.

Thanks,

Ian

There is no mapping, the Affinity range is a brand new range of software written from scratch, with completely different ideas and workflows. The question really is, what features are you looking for in a new piece of software? Knowing that, we can recommend which of the Affinity products might be the most suitable for you.

What kind of timeline are you interested in? Updates to Designer on Windows? Releases of Affinity products on Windows?

I had been hoping for a PagePlus update and Designer clearly isn't that, and it sounds like Photo also isn't.

Affinity Publisher on OS X was originally supposed to be available for public beta in late 2015, but it now looks as though it may still not be ready for release in late 2016. Even if it is, the commercial version will clearly not be available until early 2017, and Affinity Publisher on Windows will come some time later.

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using the beta of Affinity Designer for Windows for over a month now and I'm loving it. I am a software developer that likes to play with design sometimes, but I really don't like the subscription model now enforced by Adobe, so working with layouts created in Photoshop used to be a PITA until I saw the beta of Affinity Designer for Windows became available. I will purchase as soon as it is released, and I believe most (if not all) of my coworkers will do it too. I am hoping it'll be released in the Windows Store as well and in Serif's site, since now (as of August 2016) the Windows Store allows the distribution of regular Win32 apps, not only UWP ones.

Are there any news on when should we expect the beta for Affinity Photo to begin?

There is no release date yet, but there is a third product in development called Affinity Publisher. Just so you know. I assume it's purpose is for publication design just as PagePlus is. And I for one am interested to see what this program will offer. Even though I know a lot aboit it, Adobe InDesign is not very intuitive.

Edit: My apologies. I didn't read Alfred's post before I typed this.

As for the main topic is concerned, I don't even know what inpainting or RAW develop is, so I can't complain. lol

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

As for the main topic is concerned, I don't even know what inpainting or RAW develop is, so I can't complain. lol

Inpainting is what is known in Photoshop as 'content-aware fill'. Here are a couple of demo videos:

Raw data is what you get straight from a digital camera's sensor (if your camera allows this). A raw file needs to be 'developed' into a JPEG or TIFF image for further processing.

Alfred spacer.png

Thank you for the information, Alfred.

Oh I heard of that process. I usually know it as magic selection or Serif's Cutout Studio. I didn't realize that technique was called inpainting. Cool.

Okay, so RAW data is the default picture quality from the right kind of digital camera, and users were concerned that the program wasn't able to read this quality?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Oh I heard of that process. I usually know it as magic selection or Serif's Cutout Studio. I didn't realize that technique was called inpainting. Cool.

No, if 'magic selection' is like what you get in the Cutout Studio, it only allows you to delete whatever you've magically selected. Crucially, it doesn't intelligently replace it with a copy of the surrounding area: if you use inpainting on a person swimming in a lake you get water where the person was, but if you use something like Cutout Studio you just get a transparent hole.

Okay, so RAW data is the default picture quality from the right kind of digital camera, and users were concerned that the program wasn't able to read this quality?

I presume so. I don't shoot raw (and until a couple of years ago I didn't even have a camera that could be tweaked to shoot raw) so I'm largely speaking from a position of ignorance, but my understanding is that raw formats vary not only between manufacturers but from one model to the next.

Alfred spacer.png