You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

drag and drop file from one tab to another

I want to use Affinity Photo as my main editor. Will be using it also for making photo-albums.

Right now if you want to place a file in another file, one have to open that second file.

Most of the time I want to use files that are already open in Affinity.

So instead of saving them first and then have to re-open them, it would be nice if one can drag a file from one open tab in Affinity to another file/open tab. This is possible for example in PS. The dragged file opens as an extra layer in the targeted file.

Thanks for looking if implementation is possible as it is a real timesaver.

Thanks for your answer. I know how to do this, but it's not a solution for the fact that one has to save a file first and then has to re-open it for further use in another file/document. Drag an drop from one tab to another would be far more convenient.

The workaround I use is copying and pasting (+rasterise), but probably this is not a good solution qualitywise ?

In affinity one can drag an drop layers, so why not from one tab to another ?

Experimenting a bit further I discovered why the snappingfunction in certain case does not work.

When copying a picture in one tab in AffinityPhoto and pasting it in a document in another file / in another tab in AffinityPhoto, the snapping function does not work.
I only can make it work when I ‘place’ a picture (that I then have to choose from the picturebrowser) in the open document in AffinityPhoto. I hope you do understand what I try to explain.

That means more steps in my workflow, cause after editing a picture in Affinity I first have to save it before I can use it in another file that is opened in Affinity (for example page-layout for a photo-album).

So I wish to ask again if you can work out a solution for this behaviour please ?

Or
one can drag and drop a layer from one open tab to another, where i appears as an image on what the snapping function works.
Or
ad besides ‘place’ a command like ‘place open’ which let you place an open file in another file.

• 5 months later...

Hello

Just wanted to say that in the latest version the snapping-issue is solved as you guys promised : GREAT ! And thank you very much. It's great to know Affinity is actually listening to their customers and solving the problems they encounter. That's becoming a rarity in this 'beancounter-world'.

So, keep up the fine job you're doing ! Marvelous piece of software and looking forward to future improvements.

Hope you consider dragging layers from one opened document to another, as described in my earlier post.

Cheers !

Perhaps a related issue with AD on Mac: currently, it's only possible to drag/drop files from Finder to currently active document.

it would be nice, if an image dragged from Finder would activate desired document by hovering over its tab, so it can be placed inside of any open document.

Thanks for considering ;)

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

• 3 years later...

I never realized how often I used this feature in Photoshop until I started using Affinity Photo.  I'm discovering some great features in AP, but dragging a layer to another tab is a must for me.  I'm looking forward to this being added to the feature set.