You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I just tried stitching a panorama with a very wide range of exposure and while Affinity Photo did a very good job adjusting the individual exposures, unfortunately it decided to crank up the exposure on the whole panorama, making it impossible to regain detail in the bright parts after the final panorama rendering. I used RAW images as source.

Is there a way to change the exposure or even adjust curves within the panorama persona? It is pretty limiting to have it export as an 8 bit jpg with blown-out highlights..

Regards,

Chris

• Staff

Hi Chris,

If you develop with raw files or 16-bit images, the path should remain 16-bit (you mentioned 8-bit so I'm not sure if you're referring to the format after Photo has finished stitching the panorama).

As for the exposure averaging, currently there's no way to change how it works. I tend to develop each image separately: I remove the tone curve and pull back the highlights, match the histogram between each shot as much as is reasonable, then export them as 16-bit tiffs and stitch those. The result should be a much tonally flatter panorama (in 16-bit) which you can then adjust further.

I appreciate it's more manual work and doesn't negate the requirement for some more tonal control. If you want to give it a try however there are a couple of videos that cover removing the tone curve and pulling back highlight detail:

Custom Tone Curve:

Raw Development Quality:

Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Thanks for your replies!

Well, I must've been mistaken concerning the 8bit/16bit matter, just double checked. Sorry!

I was trying to avoid just that: processing each file individually beforehand. But I guess for now there's no other way.  :unsure:

[...] I still wonder if it´s not quiet easy to just further the image after stitching it, into the RAW persona  :ph34r:  :blink:

I agree with MBd here: Feeding the file to the develop persona right after stitching instead of instantly "developing" it would help a lot! That would be exactly what I was looking for. I hope, the team considers this as a future improvement!  :rolleyes:

• Staff

I definitely think the panorama process starting from RAW photos should take one into the RAW develop persona first before entering the pixel persona.

James, we´ve seen how 16bit working space is not enough to accommodate for the up to 16bit of linear RAW data and additionally you can´t set the white balance properly.

in AP 1.5 we get 32bit editing so the 16 bit limitation for shadow and highlight recovery is eliminated anyway but the white balance problem remains. With batch processing it´s just bit less painful but I still wonder if it´s not quiet easy to just further the image after stitching it, into the RAW persona :ph34r: :blink:

Most raw files are 12 or 14-bit, and most of that extra precision is kind of superfluous to creating a basic image with a pleasing range of tones, hence why 8-bit JPEGs with a logarithmic tone curve straight from the camera are well-regarded by many.

The issue we're faced with regarding panoramic stitching is not related to lack of bits, but rather that the result is rasterised as a pixel layer, with there being no tonal options previous to this happening.

32-bit float is going to be very useful, but it's not going to solve shadow and highlight tonal range issues like a magic bullet... 16-bit editing is more than enough for working with raw files. Even medium format digital backs peak at 16-bit!

• Staff

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/19612-raw-or-jpeg/?p=92583

as shown here, it does make quiet a difference even using an APS C camera.

ok it´s raster data, that makes some sense and is very unfortunate at the same time, I really hope you can resolve this.

That's not a 16-bit issue (both the Develop and Photo personas are in 16-bit in your example), the difference is something we're aware of, will keep you posted!

• 4 months later...

I just tried my first pano using 3 vertical images shot with an 85mm PC-E. Result is very good and easy to do. On this first blush, I just fed AP 3 D800E .nef files rather than developing each first. I have set AP's default working space to Profoto RGB for both 16 and 32 bit. The pano was rendered as sRGB and I see no way to change that. Is that a limitation of the pano stitcher in AP 1.5 RC1?

Lloyd