You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wrapping an image around another image

• Staff

Hmm, do you mean perspective-wise wrapping as well? The perspective transform would have to be done manually, but you can use clipping to restrict the music note image to the violin (assuming your violin has a transparent background or can be cut out).

Sounds like a job that requires several techniques. Try these in order:

Clipping vs Masking

Live Perspective

Displacement (helping to blend the music note into the texture of the violin)

.. And if you need to remove the background from the violin image, Cutting Out:

Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Hi, if you can post an example of what you want to achieve, it will be easier to guide you.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I think I have the same question as the original poster.

Also trying to wrap an image around another image. In this case, trying to wrap a dragon icon around a sword icon. To put it another way, having the dragon coil around the sword so it would be in front of and behind the sword at different points. I've attached my working file for reference.

I don't know what the technical term for this type of layering is called, so I've had trouble finding a solution. Does anyone have any tips? 

I am still very new to Affinity Design, so please forgive me if I'm missing something obvious. Thank you for any help you can give!

dragon & sword.afdesign

There may well be a better way of doing this, but one simple way is to make multiple copies of the dragon and the sword and then crop them so that a different section of each copy is visible.

dragon & sword intertwined.afdesign

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Here's a simpler way: duplicate the sword, remove the FX of the duplicate, create rectangles over the areas of the sword that should be above the dragon, add those rectangles (boolean operation), then drag the duplicate layer of the sword over the resulting layer of the boolean operation in the Layers panel to use it as a clipping object (a single layer does all the clipping). 

dragon & sword_MEB.afdesign

Note: File must be opened in Designer 1.5.

Thanks, Miguel. Creating a compound shape that covers the intersections and then cropping or clipping to that shape is exactly the way I would have done this in Serif DrawPlus, but I haven't quite got used to the procedure for doing the same thing in Affinity Designer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Here's a simpler way: duplicate the sword, remove the FX of the duplicate, create rectangles over the areas of the sword that should be above the dragon, add those rectangles (boolean operation), then drag the duplicate layer of the sword over the resulting layer of the boolean operation in the Layers panel to use it as a clipping object (a single layer does all the clipping). 

attachicon.gifdragon & sword_MEB.afdesign

Note: File must be opened in Designer 1.5.

File won't open: AD v. 1.4.2.

post-12456-0-96193900-1469025975_thumb.png

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.