You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paste Special: In 1.5.0.2 the app crashes when pasting text in RTF (Unhandled Exception) but works with Unicode.

In 1.5.0.4 the App inserts 'random' characters (see attached file) and Unicode still works.

In both versions, Pasting text from the clipboard inserts it as an image - is this what it is intended to do?

Paste.afdesign

I'm not seeing that here in 1.5.0.4, Ralph, but since I copied my test text from Notepad++ I only have Unicode text on the clipboard, so either Paste or Paste Special pastes it as frame text unless the Artistic Text Tool is active.

Where did you copy your text from? What formats does the Paste Special dialog offer? Do you have a utility such as InsideClipboard to see what other formats are available?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I copied ([Ctrl][C]) from a WORD document and was given the options of RTF, Unicode, Enhanced Windows Metafile & Windows Metafile. Both the latter are imported as images - as though I was pasting. The file I attached was created in Build1.5.0.4.

Your questions triggered my brain and I realised that the WORD format was DOC, not DOCX So I tried a DOCX file and the RTF import worked - in Paste Special. The layout was corrupted, but at least I have editable text. Paste is still importing text as an image.

I'd like to upload a DOCX file to see if you get the same result but I'm being told that I am "not permitted to upload this kind of file". I am, however allowed to upload a DOC file !!! :(  :wacko:

Hi Mark,

I could upload a DOCX to Dropbox, but I think the key issue is the way Paste (& Special) work. Do you intend them to treat text blocks as images? And the RTF import for DOC is truly ground-breaking :wacko: Wrote my first program in 1968 and I've never seen anything like it. ;)  Maybe you could consider adding DOC to the supported Affinity formats. 

Incidentally, sometimes I receive an email to tell me that a reply has been posted. Sometimes not. In this case - NOT. It does add another dimension to keeping track of posts.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.