You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paint/PaintShop Pro replacement?

I've been using these for some time (my Paint came with Draw 5) and find them very useful. Many times here I've read people saying that Affinity Photo is a super-set of these tools. But they are always referring to "Photo" editing rather than the "Paint" aspect.

For instance, does AP allow pixel level editing. Can I create transparent PNG files and icons? Are there objects like lines, rectangles, rulers, grids, guides and layers? The basic shapes and tools for filling them and adjusting them?

Rather than taking a photo and removing red-eye or applying some filter, I need to be able to work with simpler bitmaps, one bit at a time occasionally.

Is Affinity Photo the answer?

I am indeed falling in love with AD for Windows and when my new Mac comes in will be purchasing for both Windows and Mac (along with AP for both when available.)

The answer you gave seems to have answered another question I was thinking of asking. That of "What are personas and what do they do?" I'll look into that right now.

Thanks very much for the pointer.

Are there some way to make a complete paragraph to follow a form, example.

To make a text inside a book follow the curvature of the book drawing?

Not directly - that will be a feature of Affinity Publisher. However, you can create text frames of arbitrary shape, by creating the shape as a curve using the Pen tool and then using Layer > Convert to Text Frame. In this case, you could first use the Rectangle tool to create the basic shape, then use Layer > Convert to Curves, then select the Node tool and edit the shape to follow the curvature of the book drawing by hand, and then convert it into a Text frame. You can continue to edit its shape with the Node tool after you have filled it with text.

AD seems so do everything (and a ton more) that I was able to do in PSPX8. It's brilliant!

Although...

In Pixel persona there is no crop tool. There's one in the Draw persona but it doesn't work on bitmaps, just moves the whole image around.

I tried the Marquee tool but then I can't see how to tell it to crop to this marquee. PSP had a few modes for cropping. Square, fixed ratio, freeform and AD could use these tools in a future version. Sure would make it easy to get rid of the junk you don't want.

I'll have to wait for a Mac to see what AP has for this purpose.

I figured out a way to crop but it's messy and I'm hoping there's an easier way.

Open a bitmap

Select Pixel persona

Move H & V Guides to frame the area to be cropped

With Snapping on, use rectangle Marquee to match the 4 guides

Select-Invert pixel selection

Edit-Delete

Select-Invert pixel selection

Edit-Copy

File-New From Clipboard

File-Export

Is there an easier way?