You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer on Windows (1.5.0.4)

This is the problem I am having. Whenever I go to choose a font when editing text, Affinity Designer crashes. Will the next update for Affinity Designer Windows beta address this issue?

It sounds like you might have a font installed which Affinity has a problem with. We have fixed a crash in this area, but other font's might have similar problems. Have you installed any new fonts recently?

Hi John, it looks like you have Aero disabled, unfortunately we don't support installations where Aero is disabled (you should have got a warning when you started the application), as it uses a different graphics driver which can cause rendering problems and severe performance problems.

Hi Mark,

Its actually affinity that's disabling the aero, it ussually behaves like this when launching the app & open a new document at first its giving me a black workspace then when I open again a new document & select option for transparent then it disables aero. Also showing tool cursors are offset to where they should point to. And in addition, when this issue occurs I'm not able to re-anable the aero again & requires me to at least logoff to revert & enable my laptop's aero.

https://www.facebook.com/john.constantin.sawan/videos/1180067885347546/

• Staff

Hi People,

I'm using version 1.5.0.4 and It's amazing !!!

But I have some problems with special characters in pt-br (Brazilian).

Some combinations doesn't work well. Example: "~" + "ao" should be ão, but shows like ~ao or ~ão

Occurs the same with "^", "´" and "`".

But, when I write on Textpad/Notepad and copy/paste into AD, all shows ok.

Thats it.

See the printscreen here.

Hi all, I wonder why I can not write characters with accents in the text. Thank you very much.

There is a known issue with Affinity in the current build. It should however be fixed in the upcoming 1.5.0.5 build due this week :)

Hi Mark,

Its actually affinity that's disabling the aero, it ussually behaves like this when launching the app & open a new document at first its giving me a black workspace then when I open again a new document & select option for transparent then it disables aero. Also showing tool cursors are offset to where they should point to. And in addition, when this issue occurs I'm not able to re-anable the aero again & requires me to at least logoff to revert & enable my laptop's aero.

https://www.facebook.com/john.constantin.sawan/videos/1180067885347546/

Hi John, that is very odd. Do you have the latest drivers installed for your graphics card?

It sounds like you might have a font installed which Affinity has a problem with. We have fixed a crash in this area, but other font's might have similar problems. Have you installed any new fonts recently?

No I have not installed any new fonts recently. 

Hi afodfrea

What language is you OS? I believe this is due to there not being full translations in the app, so hopefully it will be sorted soon

It's English US as the display language and Turkish as the keyboard. If the icon problem is related to translations, i think mine is bit of an odd situation.  :)

Edit: My time "Format" under the Control Panel > Region > Formats was Turkish so i suppose that was the reason. Btw it was not just the "Tools" icons, i realized a lot of graphics were missing when i changed that setting to English US. For example: splash screen was also not showing, just the version number.

Is there any chance to save grid preferences in the next build? I tend to work on the dark background so this is really cumbersome to set every time. Especially because of crashes. Sure its beta but it would be super duper if that gets fixed in 1.5.0.5.

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for the update!

I really love Affinity Designer, BUT, I'm having incompatibility problems with my Wacom Intuos tablet.

the tablet buttons and pen buttons don't work. I've customised the buttons for Affinity Designer in my Wacom tablet properties, but they don't actually work in AD - they just crash the program.

It would be great if the tablet buttons could work with AD, because at the moment, as much as I love it - I end up going back to Illustrator, because my Wacom buttons work there and i can work faster without needing the keyboard.

Hope it's something that can be fixed!

Jo 

Hi,

Thanks for the update!

I really love Affinity Designer, BUT, I'm having incompatibility problems with my Wacom Intuos tablet.

the tablet buttons and pen buttons don't work. I've customised the buttons for Affinity Designer in my Wacom tablet properties, but they don't actually work in AD - they just crash the program.

It would be great if the tablet buttons could work with AD, because at the moment, as much as I love it - I end up going back to Illustrator, because my Wacom buttons work there and i can work faster without needing the keyboard.

Hope it's something that can be fixed!

Jo 

Hi, we have a Wacom Intuos tablet here that we've tested on, I'll double check before getting back to you. Can you tell me what OS you are on?

Hi John, that is very odd. Do you have the latest drivers installed for your graphics card?

HI Mark, found the last driver for my graphic card it works ok now, the issues regarding the tools were ok as well... only issue remaining is the somehow sluggish behavior when selecting tools as well as manipulating shapes...

post-29963-0-93624400-1467877033_thumb.jpg

post-29963-0-32092300-1467877035_thumb.jpg

Works fine for me: Win 8.1

But I'm disappointed in a brush drawing: it didn't read well the pressure level from my Intuos Pro. Light strokes are ignored, hard looks harder just a bit. Comparing to Illustrator it's a really big difference :(

Hi Andy et al,

Just downloaded 1.5.0.4 on Win10 Home and it fires-up OK thanks. As far as I've seen so far it is stable and operating as expected.

One question however - how to make a text box frame visible and/or fill it with a background colour? I'm clearly missing the obvious on this one!

Cheers  :)

Works fine for me: Win 8.1

But I'm disappointed in a brush drawing: it didn't read well the pressure level from my Intuos Pro. Light strokes are ignored, hard looks harder just a bit. Comparing to Illustrator it's a really big difference :(

Have you changed the pressure controller on the context toolbar?

Hi Andy et al,

Just downloaded 1.5.0.4 on Win10 Home and it fires-up OK thanks. As far as I've seen so far it is stable and operating as expected.

One question however - how to make a text box frame visible and/or fill it with a background colour? I'm clearly missing the obvious on this one!

Cheers  :)

Hi Dave, thanks for your feedback, you might want to try the Questions Forum, as this is unrelated to the Windows Public Beta.

Hi, we have a Wacom Intuos tablet here that we've tested on, I'll double check before getting back to you. Can you tell me what OS you are on?

Hi, sorry I didn't see your reply. I am using Windows 10 - thanks!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.