You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

White is not white

Why is white not white, but a cream colour - see attached of coloured square on a supposedly white background.  Is there a colour correction process required.

White appears as true white in all other applications.

post-32376-0-88548900-1467383608_thumb.png

• Staff

Why is white not white, but a cream colour - see attached of coloured square on a supposedly white background.  Is there a colour correction process required.

White appears as true white in all other applications.

What is your screen's colour profile set to? sRGB or something different? Also, what document colour space and profile did you use when you made the document in Affinity?

Thanks,

Matt

Yes, I have rebooted since installing. 

The profile I used is shown in the attachment, but I have tried a number of others and it didn't make any difference.

My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti and my operating system is Windows 10 Pro,

post-32376-0-48910600-1467386979_thumb.png

• Staff

Does the canvas still show cream if you create an RGB image, Your screen shot shows CMYK.

The CMYK canvas still shouldn't be cream but the information will help us track down the issue.

Many thanks, TonyB,

I am experiencing this issue with a few color formats.

CMYK in Print(Press Ready)  The same cream colored white happens with every cmyk color profile, but not with rgb here.

Grey/8 & Grey/16 both profiles are cream colored as well

Lab/16 all profiles are the same as above, cream for white

With my monitor, I'm using the native color mode (Samsung Natural Color Pro 1.0 ICM) instead of Adobe RGB or sRGB IEC61966 to get actual white.

Also, my onboard video is disabled in the bios.

A number of us in my forum are experiencing color problems as well.  When opening a new document, the white fill color is not white. It is #EBEBEB.  If you're viewing as RGB sliders, it's 235,235,235.  or 0,0,92 on the HSL color wheel.

The black is black but the white isn't quite white. Is this intentional?  I hope not.

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

• Staff

Hello all,

This is certainly a monitor profile thing - and as Mark says - we need to collect monitor profiles from anyone who is experiencing this issue so we can get to the bottom of it :)

You can attach your profiles here, or email them to support@seriflabs.com

Thanks,

Andy.

• Staff

MaryLou,

The #EBEBEB is intentional - we chose a slightly off-white grey instead of white - because it looked weird when you dragged out a totally white shape onto a totally white page (couldn't see anything).

You can choose your own colours and set those as the app defaults though :)

Hope this helps,

Andy.

Thank you for the response!  We have 14 people using the beta in my forum and everyone has been questioning this.  After looking at some of the MAC tutorials, those where I could see the color tab were not totally white either which made us wonder if this may have been intentional.  It works perfectly now that I have found the defaults.  One down!  Thanks again. Will relay this info back to my forum.  LOVE this program!!

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

When I drag an object onto the canvas it has the default fill of 235,235,235.  If I change the fill to 255,255,255 the object is the same cream colour as the canvas - but, in the navigator panel I see a cream object on a white canvas - strange.

The attached file shows an oblong object with a fill colour of 255,255,255.

post-32376-0-10210800-1467492332_thumb.png

I had a similar problem.

I don't know if it is of help, but I have made screenshots and attached all + the profiles.

Before:

not-working-000.png

After:

working-000.png

Screenshots_ColorProfileSettings.zip

ColorProfiles.zip

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

• 3 months later...

Let’s not forget that the entire idea of what is white is relative. There are many objects we call white, but if we placed them next to each other, we’d see they often are quite different. No matter how white something is, we can always think of a whiter object. Our brains know it and adjust for it automatically, even for those who are completely oblivious to the relativity of colors (on the other hand, digital cameras either need to have their white point set, or contain some software that sets it automatically, though not quite as successfully as our brains).

In graphic design it is very important to keep that in mind. I have always been puzzled why various flags depicted on wikipedia in the SVG format use #fff as white. Why puzzled? Because that is also the color of the background of wikipedia pages. As a result, the white portion of such flags simply become “invisible” because they are indistinguishable from the background.

Please, don’t just take my word for it. Take a look at the Flag of Russia on wikipedia. What it actually looks like is as if it had two colors, blue and red, though placed lower than the top of the page. Compare that to the Flag of Russia I made back in early August. It has all three colors, white, blue and red, all clearly visible despite its white background because I used #F7F7F7 for the white stripe.

That AD programmers have chosen a default other than #FFFFFF shows they understand the problem. Good for them!

You are so right about the color white!  About 2 years ago, I painted the woodwork in my bathroom with a white satin.  2 years ago, I had new baseboard installed and painted it white satin (different brand of paint).  To my horror, I see the difference each and every time I walk into that room.  One looks very white while the other has a gray case.   So, I bought yet another can of white satin last week and will repaint it all so I have only one color white.  I didn't realize that there is white...and there is white!

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

• 2 months later...

Sorry, but I think the last two posts - they didnt't have the Problem at all.

I had the problem and it was similar to the screenshot, af-user has loaded up.

And - I don't know if this will help you guys from Affinity - it happened afer I installed Adobe CS4!!!!!!

Before, everything was quite o.k. and Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo worked well. I tried the solution of paulohdjp because for me it seemed to be to dangerous to download and open unknown zip files from af-user.

Probably the Affinity team could provide a solution or an official workaround?!?!?!

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone,

I am having an old issue but not been able to resolve it. The white looking creme, i cannot get a true white and when placed over the white it is white but

placed half over the colour it goes creme. Almost like it has a transparency, but I have no opacity as such used. Very weird.

I'm new using Affinity but used Illustrator before so am pretty knowledgeable with using the basics. But I can't seem to fix this issue. I am at a loss why this is so.

Anyone know? Even checked the colour which is correct FFFFFF, it can't be my monitor either.

I am using a PC, windows 10 64 bit 

Capture.JPG

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.