You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

White is not white

22 minutes ago, lefty777 said:

I am having an old issue but not been able to resolve it. The white looking creme, i cannot get a true white and when placed over the white it is white but placed half over the colour it goes creme. Almost like it has a transparency, but I have no opacity as such used. Very weird.

Have you tried placing a different coloured rectangle behind the other half to confirm that it isn't a transparency issue?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 10/09/2017 at 9:26 AM, lefty777 said:

I'm just wondering whether it is me and the lighting in my room. When I stand up the yellowness becomes white, so it could be my monitor from a different angle.

This is a characteristic to all LCD and "LED" monitors. Colors may change with the viewing angle due to the polarization used. To get the precise values of a color, better use a screen utility with hex display: Magnifixer, Just ColorPicker, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, me again,

I am unfortunately still having the same issue with the white being creme. I thought at first it was the monitor but both monitors are the same.

And, as someone mentioned in an earlier post, the navigator shows pure white compared to the canvas being a creme colour.

I have attached a file with the creme on it, it'll be interesting to see if it looks white your end. It is so distracting when trying to create anything :(

My monitors are: 

AOC V27t

Benq senseye 3 G2222HDL

Settings were to: sRGBIEC61966-2.1

Graphics card: AMD Radeon R9 200 series

Windows 10 PC desktop

If I stand up and move around and look at my monitor from different positions, yeah the colour lightens but it is still not a true white. I can use the navigator as a comparison too

and the canvas is definitely creme. Even if I place an image on to the canvas any white areas become creme.

If there are any more files you need to look into this please let me know. As long as you let me know how to acquire them. 

Thank you,

cream.afdesign

• Staff

Are both monitors showing colour as creme instead of white? Could you post a screenshot showing the Devices tab in Colour Management please. Could you attach a screenshot for each monitor (by changing the dropdown from Monitor 1 to Monitor 2).

Hi @lefty777, the Navigator pane isn't doing colour conversion on the white background (I believe it is on the rest of the document, but I will check this), which is why the Navigator remains white.

You need to provide us with your ICC profile of your monitor, so that we can reproduce the conversion. In the other thread, you replied saying it was all working fine again. When did it start appearing cream again? The document is showing as CMYK, is that what you were expecting?

Hi Sean,

yes both monitors are exactly the same, I did check that. I have done a screenshot of the devices tab for you. Just in case, i have also done a screen shot of the other 2 tabs too. As you will note how yellow the background/canvas it. I don't undertsand what you mean by drop down monitor 1 and 2, however I simply drag Affinity onto the other monitor. I have attached 2 screenshots anyway.

Hi Mark,

I am no sure how to provide you with those ICC profile settings? Can you tell me how to do that please? Yes, i know, i thought it was working fine, after standing up it looked whiter, but it really isn't.

Whether in CMYK or RGB it is the same.

affinity1.JPG

affinity2.JPG

affinity3.JPG

monitor1.JPG

monitor2.JPG

• Staff

Hi lefty777,
It most definitely looks like your monitor profile is at fault. From your first screenshot (the one with the Devices Tab) could you do the following:

1. Click 'Add'
  2. Scroll down to sRGB IEC61966-2.1, select it and click OK
  3. When it appears in the list select it and then click 'Set as Default Profile'

If your second monitor also displays the issue (which I assume it will as they are the same) do the following

1. At the top of the dialog click the dropdown next to devices (just above the Identify monitors button) and select Display 2: name of monitor
  2. Click 'Use my settings for this device' if it is not already checked
  3. Click 'Add'
  4. Scroll down to sRGB IEC61966-2.1, select it and click OK
  5. When it appears in the list select it and then click 'Set as Default Profile'

Now close the Colour Management dialog and restart Affinity. Your display should now be in white.

Hi Sean P,

Oh you're brilliant!!!!!! Thank you Sean it worked! :D:D:D:D

Strange because i actually followed another post where i had to click on that same file ''sRGB IEC61966-2.1'', but I obviously did not do the same steps. ¬¬

I will make sure i copy and paste this info in case it ever happens again. So glad that is sorted [and for your patience] 9_9

Much appreciated,

Lefty777

12 hours ago, lefty777 said:

Hi Sean P,

Oh you're brilliant!!!!!! Thank you Sean it worked! :D:D:D:D

Strange because i actually followed another post where i had to click on that same file ''sRGB IEC61966-2.1'', but I obviously did not do the same steps. ¬¬

I will make sure i copy and paste this info in case it ever happens again. So glad that is sorted [and for your patience] 9_9

Much appreciated,

Lefty777

Hi, could you attach the original ICC profile V27t.icm that you were using, so that we can try it here (we might be able to blacklist it in the future). You can normally find the ICC profiles in:

C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color

• 1 month later...
On 04.10.2017 at 10:08 AM, Sean P said:

Hi lefty777,
It most definitely looks like your monitor profile is at fault. From your first screenshot (the one with the Devices Tab) could you do the following:

1. Click 'Add'
  2. Scroll down to sRGB IEC61966-2.1, select it and click OK
  3. When it appears in the list select it and then click 'Set as Default Profile'

Thank you!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.