You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi All,

I've been trying to replace my current workflow with affinity, however I seem to be struggling doing basic things which I thought would be easy, but perhaps I'm missing something. For example, I've been trying to draw a cylinder in perspective (I'm a product designer and it's the very beginning of a manual rendering), I drew the ellipse at the top, 2 lines from that tapering inwards as they go down, and then an ellipse at the bottom, I can't for the life of me figure out how to trim the bottom ellipse so only the lower half of it is there. In illustrator for example I would use the scissor tool and select the ellipse where it intersects the straight lines and then delete that section. Somebody please help as this is driving me crazy!

Secondly, how do I use the bucket fill tool? I can't seem to get it to fill anything? Am i missing something?

Thanks in advance!

• Staff

Hi dlittlefair1

Welcome to Affinity Forums,

You can use the Node Tool to break the curves where there's a node (check the first icon in the action section on the context toolbar - select the node and click on the button).

The Flood Fill is a raster based tool and only works in Pixel layers. You can use it to fill a pixel based object (created with the tools in the Pixel Persona section - second icon on the top below traffic control lights), a marquee selection or a Pixel layer. To create a Pixel layer click on the second icon on the bottom of the layers panel counting from right.

Currently there's no vector fill tool similar to Live Paint in Illustrator.

A quicker way to create a cylinder in perspective in AD is drawing two ellipses and a rectangle and perform an Add boolean operation. You can enable snapping to help you align all objects.

Hi MEB,

Thanks for the generous reply, it worked perfectly and it seems obvious now I know! In terms of the bucket fill tool, can I select the inside of the vectors I've created? The way it's been described is as if i can only fill pixel selections (in reference to Ai, you would be able to use the live paint tool.

Secondly, when i trim a  line or shape, it seems arbitrary and doesn't snap to anything in particular, is there any way of trimming a line back to another so I know they definitely join up?

Once again thanks for the help, I understand you're not my personal tutorial wizard but I do appreciate it :-p

• Staff

You're welcome.

The Bucket Tool (Flood Fill Tool in AD) can only fill pixel based objects, selections and pixels layers. It doesn't fill vector objects. There isn't an AD equivalent to Live Paint Tool in Illustrator yet.

You can however use clipping to "paint" inside a vector object in a Pixel layer.

Here's how:

1. Draw a rectangle (it's created inside of a vector layer by default in new documents)

2. With the vector layer selected, create a Pixel layer inside it (second icon in the bottom of layers panel counting from right).

3. Drag the Pixel layer over the rectangle - make sure you let it go over the (Rectangle) letters area on the right and NOT over the rectangle thumbnail.

4. Now make sure the Pixel layer is selected and change to Pixel Persona. You can use any raster based tool to paint in this layer and it will limit anything you do to inside the rectangle.

Here's a video tutorial that may help. It describes how to use raster brushes to shade vector objects.

• 9 months later...

The Flood Fill is a raster based tool and only works in Pixel layers. You can use it to fill a pixel based object (created with the tools in the Pixel Persona section - second icon on the top below traffic control lights), a marquee selection or a Pixel layer. To create a Pixel layer click on the second icon on the bottom of the layers panel counting from right.

Currently there's no vector fill tool similar to Live Paint in Illustrator.

Thanks for this.  Super useful for the current project I'm working on.  It'd also be sweet, though, to add a vector fill tool in a future release.  It would speed up my workflow tremendously.