You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

EPS compatibility problems

Hi All

I'm not sure if it is a bug in Affnity Designer, or if the EPS files I have are corrupted, but I have problems opening EPS files with Affinity Designer. The EPS files open OK and can be edited, but they loose detail or show white borders between different parts of the diagarm.

For example, using an EPS file available here:

http://www.freepik.com/free-vector/golden-background_796381.htm  the EPS opens with white borders around the different elements, while its AI file opens without any flaws.

As another example, please have a look at EPS and AI files available here:

http://www.freepik.com/free-vector/collection-of-luxury-brooch_856448.htm  The jewelry pieces don't retain their white inner parts when the file is opened as an EPS file, but when opened as an AI file, the white inner parts are shown.

Unfortunately I don't have Adobe Illustrator, so I cant verify if these EPS files are not corrupted.

Any advice in this matter will be appreciated!

• Staff

Hi John,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You will get better results if you try to import them as AI files into Designer. If they contain a PDF stream, Affinity should be able to keep most of the object editable.

Most EPS files have an AI file embedded as a comment which allows Illustrator to open them intact/editable. When Illustrator opens it, it reads the comment and ignores the EPS data. Since AI is a proprietary format there's no way for other apps to access that info from the EPS.

Hi MEB

Many thanks for the expert answer!

Until today I've been using Inkscape and it has the same problems. Your explanation about the EPS files then explains why both Affinity and Inkscape have problems opening the files.

It's a pity, as I plan to use vector images from shutterstock, which are available only in EPS, although for some reason their free images on freepik.com come in both EPS and AI formats... I really dislike Adobe's subscription model, but it seems that's the way to go for me if I want to use images that others have made using Illustrator.

Thanks again,
John

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.