You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not compatible with DrawPlus

I have used Serif Apps for years and always had the most up-to-date versions.

Yesterday I downloaded Affinity Designer.

It looks very good but ....

I cannot open my old DrawPlus files into Affinity to edit. They simply import as a picture, the separate items of which I cannot edit - text frames, picture frames, etc.

PDF files will open in Affinity and can be edited.

I cannot open 'My Gallery', created in DrawPlus, or any galleries in Affinity.

The 'Cut' tool from DrawPlus seems to be missing from Affinity. I found this tool very useful.

I might be missing something and look forward to being pointed in the right direction but until then I will have start again from scratch on many items I constantly use and edit, forget my, or any, Gallery creations manage without the 'cut' tool.

• Staff

Hi Longtimer,

Affinity Designer isn't a replacement for DrawPlus. It is the start of a brand new range of apps and this is why it cannot natively open DrawPlus files. There are no plans to add this functionality.

You would need to export anything from DrawPlus to a PDF and open the PDF in Affinity Designer. You would also need to do the same for your gallery objects (drag them to a page and export as a PDF).

• Staff

Hi Longtimer,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can export dpp files as PDF or SVG's to import in Designer. It should keep most of the layers/object editable.

Affinity Designer is not a replacement/expanded version of DrawPlus. It's an entirely new software (part of a new line of products) build from scratch and as such you will not find the same tools/workflows you currently have in DrawPlus. While most basic tools may seem familiar, there's other areas where Affinity approach differ from the way things worked in there. 

If have questions or are having trouble performing some operations in Affinity Designer please go ahead as ask here in the Forums. There's already someone willing to help and a considerable number of video tutorials / learning resources available.

Yes I found that I could open pdf files from DrawPlus  in Affinity and then edit them.

As to the gallery items does this mean that there will be no 'Gallery' in Affinity. I have built up a large number of items in DrawPlus over the years and to have to use DrawPlus to drag an item onto a page, export as pdf and then add it to a page in Affinity is a bit convoluted.

• Staff

Longtimer,

Try experimenting with SVG and PDF export from DrawPlus to see which imports best for your type of gallery objects

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.