You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crashes, bugs and missing tools.

Hello, thank you for developing Affinity Designer for Windows.

I'm testing it, trying to replicate what I do in Illustrator.

I've been able to install AD (Affinity Designer) with no problems on Windows 10 Pro, Dell XPS Studio 8100. Everything went smooth, I also installed it on a much newer machine.

Crash and Bugs

AD crashed twice while working with text.

With Spelling "on" at some point I was not able to write the letter L, dunno why, disabled Spelling (after reading about it here on forum) and I was able to write L again, some tests later I got a crash, sent report.

I tried to customize the UI, the Align tools particularly.

I removed the Arrange button and added the extended Align tools, to that I added again the Arrange button so to not miss the distribute tools and, clicking on Arrange buttons, pop up everywhere. Tried to reset the toolbar but even more pupup came.

Font list

I don't know if this is a bug or not but,

- In Illustrator, to select a font, for example "Helvetica", I open the font list and start typing the font name, then press Enter and the font is selected.

- In AD I open the font list, typing Helv... I reach the Helvetica font but I've to select it with the mouse, if I press Enter the font does not get selected.

Moving through panel fields.

In Illustrator, for example if I want to move from W: to H: in the Transform panel, I press TAB, it's fast and I'm able to change both values without using the mouse.

In AD if I'm on W: field, (transform panel) and I want to move to the H: field, if I press TAB, the Hide UI command is being trigged. Tried many keyboard combo but, actually I'm using the mouse to move through fields. Am I missing something ? 

What I'm missing

- Pen tool: I miss being able to move the point "on fly". Spacebar while using the Pen tool in Illustrator

- Curvature tools (Illustrator), Spiro path (Inkscape)

- Vertical Text tool.

- Text Glyph

- Clipping Mask

Sorry if I use Illustrator as example but, it's the software I would like to replace.

ps: edits/more to come later.

post-32320-0-05515500-1467367909_thumb.jpg

Hi dok

A number of these issues have already been raised so we are aware of them. This is mainly the crash and the tabbing issues

For the pen Tool - You can press ctrl to temporarily switch to the node to so you can move nodes, we use spacebar to quickly access pan

For the other tools, we are planning to release the windows version with feature parity to the Mac before adding any new tools/features

The other issues I shall get logged

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hello Chris, thank you for reply

I just played with the Pen tool and yes, I'm using the ctrl to move the point, but It's just that I'm used to how Illustrator works and I find this behaviour slightly better.

Also, I've and old copy of Macromedia Freehand MX, and the pen tool works the same, so now I understand from where Illustrator got this good thing.

For my work I mostly, and maybe only, need to manipulate paths, because at the end I give those path to a CNC machine, so the faster I am to manipulate and create my shapes, the better.

EPS export is also important.

I'll try my best to help Affinity Designer shine at path manipulating.

Thanks again.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.