You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hairline width

• 4 months later...

Are there any updates on this feature? I know that right now we can specify stroke width of 0.001 which works except I can't see the strokes when viewing the entire file. In Illustrator, for very thin strokes it has a minimum of 1 pixel displayed so you can see the lines. My application is also for laser cutting which is why it needs to be that thin.

I think https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/13891-afd-need-finer-strokes-down-to-0001pt/is kind of related, but it would be nice to see the strokes that "round down to 0."

• 9 months later...

Just want to add my voice to those asking for a true Hairline stroke weight. It's not just for vertical-market needs like cutting on NC devices. In the FreeHand days, Hairline was my default working stroke weight whenever drawing paths. It's absence in Illustrator is a pain in the neck to former FreeHand users, and I was delighted to find it in DrawPlus. It really needs to be added to Affinity Designer.

For those not familiar, the Hairline stroke weight always renders the finest line possible on whatever the output device is (be it the monitor or a printer). This is different from simply setting a small stroke weight because a Hairline setting does not scale as you zoom. So when you are trying to draw paths precisely, the path you're working on is always displayed at the same minimal weight that can be displayed as you zoom in and out. It effectively enables you to work in what Illustrator treats as a separate "outline" view mode just on the path you're currently working on, without losing the reference of all the already existing artwork styling.

I also routinely used it for special printer marks (fold marks, etc.) in the bleed areas.

Hairline stroke weight is also excellent for use in illustrating step-by-step procedures with screen captures because it lets you use color-coded construction and demo paths while capturing at any zoom.

This feature is yet another competitive opportunity to reveal to Illustrator-only users just how cumbersome that program has always been.

JET

• 8 months later...

+1

I've been practicing with printing from Affinity to my laser device as well (I'll be happy to rid myself of Illustrator). While very-small-stroke widths work, they are cumbersome when someone wants their logo at two very different sizes, where a stroke my switch from too-small-for-the-laser to large-enough-to-vector with resizing. It simplifies my workflow to have the ability to pin the stroke as hairline.

Would it be possible perhaps to make hairline as toggle-able value, separate from the numeric thicknesses? Would that make implementation more complicated or easier?

Cheers! Been enjoying using Designer the last month or so! 

On 9/21/2017 at 2:57 PM, MikeW said:

This special line property is one of them, though. 

Hi @MikeW,

would you mind to explain what a hairline makes it different from e.g. 0,1pt wide line? I'm sorry if this should be basic knowledge but I don't know this :$

Thankyou!
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

4 minutes ago, dominik said:

Hi @MikeW,

would you mind to explain what a hairline makes it different from e.g. 0,1pt wide line? I'm sorry if this should be basic knowledge but I don't know this :$

Thankyou!
d.

JET explained that in his post just above mine. It's a great summation with a sprinkling of practical reasons.

11 minutes ago, MikeW said:

JET explained that in his post just above mine. It's a great summation with a sprinkling of practical reasons.

Oh my, I feel stupid :$

Not for knowing not what the definition of a hairline is but for missing @JET_Affinity's explanation. Thank's to you for pointing me to the obvious and thanks to JET to make me understand what a hairline is. It seems to be quite practical and I support this feature request.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil