You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Advanced scaling algorithms

Hi, I would like to ask for comprehending some new scaling algorithms into Affinity Photo. There is plenty of approaches beyond nearest neighbour, bilinear, bicubic and Lanczos: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_scaling

Especially algorithms developed for pixel-art scaling provide amazing results when enlarging low-res images (Super 2xSal, Super Eagle, hqnx, xBRZ...).

Here's my suggestion:

1) add a new "Rescale" filter, which would allow user to choose scaling algorithm and target pixel layer size.

2) eventually add "Rasterize using... >" item to contextual menu over layers. Behind this item, in the second menu level, there could be the algorithms available for rasterizing. In some cases, the default rasterizing algorithm isn't always the best option, especially when working with screenshots, images with text in it, where readability and certain sharpness is desired even after rasterizing.

Thank you for considering! :)

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

These would be very useful for icon design too.

I think that the Rasterise commands should have more options too.

And I suppose these are there but still hidden...  :)

Where is the smoking gun?

Well... It could be a mistake, but it is the only voice in the menu that has the "..." at the end and doesn't present a further dialog, as the convention would suggest.  :ph34r:

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

• Staff

Hi Paolo, Lojza,

The "..." after the Rasterise command is because if you rasterize a layer with FX applied, you will get a dialog asking you if you want to flatten the FX or keep it as an editable effect.

I agree it would be nice to have a few more options here regarding the resampling algorithms.

Hi Paolo, Lojza,

The "..." after the Rasterise command is because if you rasterize a layer with FX applied, you will get a dialog asking you if you want to flatten the FX or keep it as an editable effect.

I agree it would be nice to have a few more options here regarding the resampling algorithms.

Yep, I noticed that, but it is there "always" not only when layer fx are applied, so was daring some more future options.

Also there are many other little hints hidden around the UI that make me really curious...  :P

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...