You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Collapsing layers?

Hi MEB.

I suspected that would work, but was thinking there might be a way to just select the layers and then "collapse" them.

In some instances that might be convenient, imo

I'm mostly thinking about vector objects.

For example, if you use the Duplicate function (ctrl-J), a new layer is created for each press of ctrl-J.

I'd like to select all the layers, and then have all objects in those layers collected in a single layer.

I believe your method (cut + paste) works for this, but I was thinking that a layer related action would be convenient too.

Hi adreamer

Do you actually have a layer or are you just adding individual objects as there is a slight difference? You can add a new layer then place all the objects inside of that, or alternatively you can select all the objects and use ctrl+g or Layer > Group to group all the objects then you should be able to collapse them

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi Chris.

The Duplicate function I used as an example (ctrl+J) adds a new layer each time you make a copy.

Most of the time, I use layers with a purpose in mind, but sometimes layers are created automatically, and I want to keep objects together on a single layer.

The Group Layer functionality can be used, as you mention. However, if you group layers that way, the Collapse Selection function just collapses the list visually, i.e. it does not merge / flatten the layers the way I was thinking.

Ahh I see now, no there is no method to merge layers in Designer. This is a feature that is more in Photo as that usually deals more in pixel information which is far more manageable to merge. The only method to get all objects on the single layer is to Group the objects you want then go to Layer > Rasterise. This will but put all the objects on one layer, but it will convert it into pixel information instead of being vector, so it depends on your end goal as to whether this is an option for you

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.