You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snapping / aligning to object's own geometry

Not sure if this is intentional or not.

I find that snapping / aligning to other objects works fine, but this does not work if you wish to align to geometry on the object you are currently working on. For example, if I wish to align a new point with an earlier point on on same curve.

I came across something in this "department" of which I am not sure if it is a bug or not.

1) Create a square

2) Change to the move tool (v) and then ALT move the sqare horizontally to the right. This creates a copy of the original square. Pressing the SHIFT key restricts the movement to horizontal.

3) My goal is to place the copied square adjacent to the right border of the original square.

I would expect that the snapping feature indicates when the left side of the copied square and the right side of the original are identical. But this does not happen.

4) Let go of the copied square a little away from the original.

5) Then move again towards the original square and then snapping indicates contact of the two.

D.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• Staff

Hi dominik,

You can use ⌥ (option/alt) or ⌘ (cmd) to duplicate the object. The difference is that ⌥ (option/alt) overrides snapping - that's why you don't get the smart guides. If you use ⌘ (cmd) instead Affinity will perform as you want (align the left side of the duplicate with the right side of the original).

You can use ⌥ (option/alt) or ⌘ (cmd) to duplicate the object.

Great, I didn't know about this. Thanks for helping me with that.

D.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.