You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Weird artifacts in Affinity Photo compared to other apps

I'm not sure if this is a new issue or something I'm just noticing, but when I pull RAW images into Photo, the quality is really bad when I zoom in compared to the same image opened in either Photoshop or even just Photos.

Am I missing something with settings in Photo that are causing this degradation? I'm attaching screenshots of the same photo zoomed in to roughly the same level with both Photo and Photoshop.

post-32226-0-49104400-1467328168_thumb.png

post-32226-0-08526800-1467328221_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Sean,

The difference you can see if that Affinity is opening the file 'as is' whereas Photoshop has already applied some filtering to reduce the amount of noise/change exposure/white balance/etc. You are seeing exactly what was actually taken by your camera. You should be able to achieve the same effect as Photoshop when in the Develop persona (which opens by default when you open a RAW file) by removing colour noise in the Details panel and also increasing exposure slightly, from looking at your comparison images... Affinity Photo can also be set to use the OS's RAW interpreter which will automatically apply very similar rules to PhotoShop so if you did not want to see your camera's actual output, you can begin your process from this 'pre-adjusted' starting point if you would prefer :)

Thanks,

Matt

• Staff

Hi Sean, coincidentally I have just put up a tutorial today that covers this! It might be worth a watch for you, it basically goes over what Matt has said above and walks through some basic settings to improve the quality so it's on par with Apple's Core Image converter - here's the video:

Thanks,

James

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Hmmm... well, I tried both the detailed instructions for using the Develop tools and also using the Assistant to simply switch to Apple's image converter, but I see virtually no change in the very Tetris-like patchwork of noise I'm seeing when I open the images in Photo.

• Staff

That's odd, using noise reduction should remove that noise pattern - I know what you mean by Tetris-like, it's characteristic of the SerifLabs engine. If you bring the luminance and colour sliders up for noise reduction do you notice any difference? (Make sure to preview at 100%)

Also, if you switch to Apple's Core Image engine, make sure you close and re-open the file, the change won't take place until then.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials