hbeier

Add more language options to Character panel

The language dropdown of my Character panel only shows English, Portuguese and Spanish.

post-16071-0-82761300-1467333125_thumb.png

Is there a way to add more languages to it? For me, this is not about spelling, but language features that are built into OpenType fonts. (I’m a type designer and I use Affinity Designer to make the promotional images for my fonts, btw.)

For example, this is some of the OpenType code that is present in the locl feature of my fonts. These substitutions only happen when the language of the text is set to Dutch, Catalan and Romanian, respectively. If the glyph doesn’t have a Unicode assigned (which is the case of iacute_j.loclNLD), there is no way for me to input it into AD.

post-16071-0-67523700-1467333120_thumb.png

And while we’re here, any chance on getting a Glyphs panel?

Is there a way to add more languages to it?

Ok, I’ve found out there is a way to add more languages to it.

AD populates that dropdown according to the languages I’ve checked on the spelling options of System Preferences.

post-16071-0-14686600-1468682670_thumb.png

While I see the reason for this, it would be nice to have more languages available by default without requiring me to change my global spelling options.

For example, this is some of the OpenType code that is present in the locl feature of my fonts. These substitutions only happen when the language of the text is set to Dutch, Catalan and Romanian, respectively. If the glyph doesn’t have a Unicode assigned (which is the case of iacute_j.loclNLD), there is no way for me to input it into AD.

Following up in this topic, I’ve found out Affinity Designer doesn’t honour the locl OpenType feature.

This is how it behaves in Adobe apps:

post-16071-0-10311100-1469640095_thumb.png