You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi uffelfinn,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

A blue line (bounding box actually) around an object means it´s selected. Can you check if you have your image layer locked in the Layers panel?

If there´s a padlock icon on the right of the layer's name, click on it to remove the lock. You should then be able to click and drag the image freely on canvas.

If this doesn't solve the issue can you upload a screenshot somewhere so we can see what's going on?

Thanks.

I am attempting this with a new layer that is not locked,,repeatedly. I'm afraid I'm too inexperienced to upload a sample of what we're talking about. I will try to figure out how to do this. THank you for responding,,it means a lot to get help.

Which app are you using, one of the two Mac apps or maybe the Windows Designer beta?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you very much for the instructions! I'm driving for two days from Idaho to the Oregan coast, my home. I will send the shot as soon as I get home. I appreciate your concern very much,,,,and I believe you are going to be a great help. I'm very excited about getting Affinity Photo to work.

Hello , I have taken screen shots concerning My "Move Tool". 1st shot is "Background" layer where a "bounding box" appears around the image. 2nd shot is a "new" layer with "Move tool" selected. In this case the bounding box disappears and won't come back.

post-31303-0-46419800-1468011278_thumb.jpg

post-31303-0-68051500-1468011491_thumb.jpg

Hi Uffelfinn

Your background layer is locked, hence the crosses showing on the move tool selection.  (see MEB’s post above)

When you click the padlock to unlock the layer, the move tool will move/transform etc.

The new layer appears empty, nothing to select, so no selection bounding box. Unless it's black poodles on a black b/g, in which case ....

This worked but,,,doesn't the "background" keep your original "un-altered" image during the editing process? When I did what you said,,my background image became grey and white checks. Thank you for getting me this far though. I'm taking a tutorial that uses this

to demonstrate the "nondestructive" layering feature of Affinity Photo. At this point it looks like my original image is gone.

"Background" is just the default name given to a photo layer when you import it. It has no special significance other than there is a preference in the User Interface section to automatically lock it on import. That option is on (checked) by default, so that is why the move tool could not select it.

If you edit it, say by applying a destructive filter from the Filters menu (which you can do even to a locked layer) & then save the results without saving the history or any snapshots with it, that is a destructive process. Layer effects, Live filters, & adjustments are non-destructive (unless you merge them into a pixel layer or rasterize the whole thing).

It is a bit complicated but the simplest way to preserve an unaltered background (or any other pixel) layer is to duplicate it before you edit it & hide the original layer. That way, you always have an unedited copy.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7