You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Double click to edit (text, etc.)

• Staff

Guess there's counter arguments but for me I'm finding it a bit annoying that after you edit some text by double clicking to edit, you are then using the text tool when you go do something else.  I didn't choose the text tool - I just wanted to edit a bit of text and go select something else, but keep ending up starting a new bit of text!

In my view at least if a tool has been automatically selected for you for editing a specific object you've double clicked on (suppose mostly either the node or text tool) when your cursor is outside of the boundary box of that object it should be back to the tool you were previously on.

Realise it's the same in our other products, so perhaps i'm missing the usefulness of it sticking with the tool it's automatically chosen for you in this scenario...

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• 4 weeks later...

After you're done editing your text, just hit the escape key (esc) one time to go back to the pointer select tool and move your text block... and 2 times to deselct the text you were editing to be able to select something different.

I would also like the "alt" key to always default to the selection pointer to click on something else or out of a selection, but I believe that's already been discussed multiple times.

BTW: new here... first post... and Designer is looking very, VERY promising!

Yes this is how Illustrator operates and it bugged me too for a time - hence I learned/customised the keyboard shortcut for the general pointer, sorts that out. More comfy/ergonomic than reaching for the esc key. Not sure any other behaviour is actually logical when you think about it.

I would also like the "alt" key to always default to the selection pointer to click on something else or out of a selection, but I believe that's already been discussed multiple times.

----------

Edit: Quote feature displays weirdly - doesn't separate the quote from the post, odd. Quote above, post below.

---------

It doesn't??????? Yikes, that's bad news. I've not been around here long enough to be aware of the "discussed multiple times".... hum, soooo.. how do you drop temporarily into the general pointer then? Links anyone?