You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where is the B-Spline tool, calligraphic line tool and undo arrow?

Three questions really:  Where is the B-Spline tool or equivalent?  And where is the calligraphic line tool or equivalent?  Where is the undo arrow?  Sometimes that is easier than keyboard shortcuts.

Without the B-spline tool this software is useless to me and the calligraphic line tool is very useful too.

Thank you

• Staff

Thanks for the feedback.

We are currently trying to achieve parity with the released Mac version of Affinity but when we are happy with the quality of the Windows version we will then be looking to improve features.

• Staff

I'm afraid I'm the bearer of bad news... There is currently no B-spline tool exposed in Affinity Designer. The back-end already supports it, but the tool cannot create B-splines at present. As you may have guessed, I am not about to make your day any brighter when it comes to the other elements of your list as 'Undo' is a shortcut or menu-driven action only and calligraphic lines are also absent... :(

• Staff

Yes, B-spline is definitely on the way in the future - the hard part is already implemented and I'd like to see the tool in there :) Calligraphic lines are on track for the future too - but it's not one of the higher-priority areas...

Thanks again,

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I've found that using DrawPlus, the B-Spline tool is by far more intuitive and easier to use than the Pen tool.  I just watched the Affinity Pen tool tutorial and I'm left with the same impression.  The Pen tool is unnecessarily complicated and would take much longer to learn to use than the relatively more intuitive B-Spline tool.  

I probably won't even use Affinity until it has the B-Spline tool.  Does anyone have an estimate as to when the B-Spline tool will be available in Affinity?

Have you tried the Pen Tool in 'Smart Mode'? It's not quite on a par with the B-Spline Tool, but I find that it works pretty well.

As for the missing Undo arrow, take a look at the History panel. I think the slider on there is a much better way of providing the same functionality as DP's Undo/Redo stacks.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hello, I've found that using DrawPlus, the B-Spline tool is by far more intuitive and easier to use than the Pen tool.  I just watched the Affinity Pen tool tutorial and I'm left with the same impression.  The Pen tool is unnecessarily complicated and would take much longer to learn to use than the relatively more intuitive B-Spline tool.  

I probably won't even use Affinity until it has the B-Spline tool.  Does anyone have an estimate as to when the B-Spline tool will be available in Affinity?

Hi Harster13,

Sorry that you're unhappy there's no b-spline tool at present. I know that it's a different way of working and it suits some people more than others. All the tech already works internally (our curves can represent and draw b-splines already) but we haven't had chance to write the tool yet to allow users to create them. The b-splines in DrawPlus actually came from the code I wrote to add them to Affinity in the first instance, which is kind of ironic! ;)

Unfortunately, we can't offer any guidance about likely timescales for the addition of this tool to Affinity Designer - there are a number of other issues that are affecting users that need to be resolved as a priority before adding additional features. We will obviously get there as quickly as we can.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

It is good news that you will eventually include the B-spline tool in Affinity.  It is the one tool that I use all the time.  Even in smart mode the pen tool is not nearly as good.   All my cat's whiskers are not as smooth. :) :P

Apart from a few "missing tools", I am thrilled with Affinity. Thank you all.

• 2 weeks later...

Alfred, thanks for the "smart mode" hint.

You're welcome, Harster13. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 month later...

I'm just adding to this - As far as I'm concerned, the B-Spline tool is essential.  I completely understand that Serif wants to offer Affinity Designer for Windows as a polished package, but I think you may be guilty of some wrong thinking here.  B-Spline is equivalent to a leg.  By offering Affinity Designer without the B-Spline you are offering a package with a broken leg.  It would be better to take the time to add B-Spline NOW, rather than making what are essentially cosmetic changes by fixing little quirks.  I'm sure you think it is the other way around, but not me.

There are too many of us who use B-Spline frequently, for this feature to be sitting on the shelf.  I could (and would) be using Affinity Designer every day rather than just checking for updates, hoping it will be a useful package at some point. Just my opinion of course......

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.