You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for Windows replaces what?

• Staff

Hi terryf,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Designer is the first of a new line of software products for Windows geared for advanced users/professionals (made available as a public Beta today).

[EDITED] It's a mixed vector/raster based illustration software comparable to DrawPlus. Serif's Plus line of products will not be developed/updated anymore.

• Staff

I just purchased DrawPlus X8. Does Affinity Designer replace this product?

I'm not sure "Replace" would be the correct word but Affinity is a new vector design application developed by Serif and DrawPlus will not be updated anymore.

I hesitate to use the word "Replace" because the two applications are similar in many ways but very different in others.

The best thing would be to have a look at the affinity.serif.com/designer  website, try the beta and see if it's what you are after.

I've noticed right off the bat that affinity is missing auto-trace.

But it appears to have some tools that DrawPlus does not

From the little I've played around in Beta so far it appears to be inferior to x8

So even though Serif won't be advancing to x9 I hope that they don't stop selling x8

Yes indeedy, My experience of Drawplus leads me to think that there is so much going on many will never use all the "Bells & Whistles." I will compare things within DrawPlus with Affinity. Smokey.

• Staff

I've noticed right off the bat that affinity is missing auto-trace.

At the moment the best way to trace the outline of an object is to use the Pen Tool [P] and do it by hand. Auto trace is something that is on our Road map to be added in the future, and has been discussed/requested many times. The programmers are clear that there seems little point in releasing this feature until they can get better results than the competition.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

So I´d expect auto trace to be a V2 feature .....

I bow to your experience and thinking about it would suggest you are probably right.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Hi kaylon,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Test on a path is already available in Designer. To use it draw a path or a shape, select the Artistic Text tool, place the cursor over the path (the cursor will change to a T with a small wave below) click and start typing.

Alternatively select a path or shape, go to menu Layer ▸ Convert to Text Path and start typing.