You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Faceoff - testing Designer for concept art

el_diablo

Please forgive the awful design. I just wanted to test out some Designer brushes, both vector and raster, with no planing whatsoever. It started from just a few strokes, and evolved to this. Next one will be better, I promise :).

Other than inabiliy to change the brush size when locale not US (no easily accessable brackets in HR layout), I really like Designer for concept art so far.

post-544-0-31779600-1413673718_thumb.jpg

Actually, the brushes for me work pretty fast (iMac i5 2.8Ghz/ATI 6970). I tried extreme resolutions like 15000x10000px and 1024px brushes with scattter, and its as fast as or even faster than Photoshop. If you are working on the brush performance, maybe I could add a few feature requests real quick, to take in consideration at your own pace.

1. Pixel brushes over 1024 px (I need those sometimes for texturing, no need for fluid performance here, just a dab here and there)

2. Stroke smoothing (I think Blender paint or Zbrush lazy mouse has this nicely implemented with a trail that helps vizualization)

3. Opacity dynamics for pixel brushes

4. hotkey for brush size/rotation/hardness or as many parameters as you can fit

5. popup color wheel at cursor location on hotkey (pls, not like photoshop HUD, its awful, there are much better implementations)

• Staff

Hi,

I'm doing dome work on our brush engine right now - so I'll try to answer your requests:

1.) No problem - would 4096px be sufficient?

2.) MattP has improved smoothing substantially and you can actually try it out right now - just download the free beta build from the Beta section of the forum :)

3.) I can't find anything else which does dynamic Opacity - because it is not applied per nozzle, but to the whole stroke. We have "Flow" which is a per-nozzle opacity. If there is a way to do Opacity based on a dynamic, I'd be happy to implement it!

4.) Yes, we need to do all these.

5.) We can currently option-click to pick a colour, or option-drag to pick using the loupe. I'll look at making the wheel available too - shouldn't be too difficult I think.

Thanks - and I too would love to see your better design - that first one is nice already..

AndyS

Hey Andy, all that sounds great!

Here is another take. Still not too happy with the result, but getting there. I love being able to use vector/pixel tools in the same document fluidly. I need to adjust my workflow, but i think I can be more productive in the Designer than Photoshop pretty easily in my Illustration/Concept art work. I will try a commercial project next.

post-544-0-02585600-1413748205_thumb.jpg

Wow this sick style. I would love to see how you go about creating your work with the pixel brushes are any of your brushes custom?

I need to tinker with the pixel vs the vector brush settings?