You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 2)

In Beta 2, it looks like syncing on symbols with text boxes is not working correctly. I've attached a screen capture of it in action.

Steps to recreate:

1. Create a symbol with a text box in it.

2. Drag another instance of symbol on art board.

3. Turn syncing off and try and change text or styling of the text for a single instance. (It still syncs back to symbol, while syncing is turned off)

text-symbol-not-working-correctly.mov

Some small issues that you're probably already aware of:

- Choose new color picker tool > hold mouse button > loupe is incorrectly positioned in bottom left corner of application (only after moving the mouse the loupe snaps to the position of the mouse)

- View > Customise Tools... : Contains some duplicates (Move Tool / Artboard Tool) and missing icon for Donut Tool.

(that cat tool though...  :D)

I'll get it sorted out when I get back off holiday after next week :)

They're allowing you to go on a week's holiday?? :o

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I like that we can drag items to the Assets panel (including Artboards). But once they're there, is there a way to reorder them?

Oh, and to reorder categories and subcategories too?

And to move items from one subcategory to another. :)

• Staff

> But once they're there, is there a way to reorder them?

Not in front of the Windows software right now but I've seen the developers drag/drop them round the symbols window on the mac version, so that should be the same now (or soon)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

I like that we can drag items to the Assets panel (including Artboards). But once they're there, is there a way to reorder them?

Oh, and to reorder categories and subcategories too?

And to move items from one subcategory to another. :)

If you hold down Alt/Option you should then be able to drag-reorder the items in the Assets panel. In the future, we'll have the ability to order them automatically based on date added/name, but right now it's just a fixed order :)

• Staff

Thanks Matt! Was missing the modifier key, didn't know there was one.

Reordering subcategories?

Hi Hugh,

Currently there's no way to reorder categories.

@deva,

This is related with previewing the doc/artboard in the iOS Mirror application (not available yet) to enable scrolling on website mockups.

Still waiting some text align improvement. The actual AD is a pain do align a text inside a object because the alignment is based on the frame and not the text itself.

AD calculates alignment using text cage/frame and not the text itself.

text.jpg

Hi Matt,

Thanks so much for the great work.  I really love the measuring tool.   Just a suggestion, would it be possible to continue to display the measurement as you move an object?   This will be very handy for UI design work.

I miss that too, display the measurement as you move the object.

Edit: If you hold the option + control (+shift if you want), you can move the object with the arrows but is a little buggy when you have a lot of objects even with the mouse on the target reference object.

I miss that too, display the measurement as you move the object.

Edit: If you hold the option + control (+shift if you want), you can move the object with the arrows but is a little buggy when you have a lot of objects even with the mouse on the target reference object.

Hi Andremacola,

I have just found out that pressing down option + shift allows moving the object horizontally to the left or right with the left and right arrows but not up or down.  Pressing down option + control + shift allows moving the object in all directions with the measurements displayed.

Pressing down control + option duplicates the object.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Nana

• Staff

Some of the Alt+Arrow combinations are already used as short keys for adjusting text properties.  Hence, why nudge while holding Alt appears not to work for all cases.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Some of the Alt+Arrow combinations are already used as short keys for adjusting text properties.  Hence, why nudge while holding Alt appears not to work for all cases.

Thanks for the clarification, Ben.

Still waiting some text align improvement. The actual AD is a pain do align a text inside a object because the alignment is based on the frame and not the text itself.

AD calculates alignment using text cage/frame and not the text itself.

text.jpg

This makes sense perfectly since you're using text frame.

Use Align Center, or switch to Art Text and you're done.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Is there an export preview? I don't see it. I'd really like to use Affinity Designer for production in my web work when it gets out of Beta but I can't if there isn't going to be an export preview. 

I normally use Photoshop and sometimes Illustrator. I'd love to move away from Adobe products. I'm hoping Affinity Designer is the tool that I'm looking for but I need to see how my files are exporting in some sort of an export preview.

I really like the new features in the Export persona. 

I feel like the multiple export presets could use a little more polish UX wise though. 

If I select a slice, I can no longer edit the options in the Export Options panel.  It took me a while to figure out I need to expand each slice in order to edit them.  This adds a bit more work for the user when you only want to set 1 preset (especially for multiple selections).  Before you could select multiple slices and edit all of them in the Export options panel.

I think a better UX would keep edit options in the Export Options panel only.

See attachment where you cant change options to these 3 slices at once anymore.

post-31548-0-23206400-1467744407_thumb.png

I noticed that too, but there are some handy copy&paste functions too.

Export Options Studio seems to act as a fine setting panel, or presets editor.

I'm waiting for a good explanation here to listen developers thoughts.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Hi William,

I think the problem is that the UI works in the same way as Xcode's 'struts and springs' UI in terms of when each element lights up, what that means... If I change it then there will be a LOT of people who don't understand it now - it's just the way that all these controls seem to function in dev environments that exist already :(

I see your reasoning. But I would still strongly advocate changing it. I think everyone will agree that it makes more sense that way. I understand that it might be frustrating to people who frequently go between these apps but I still think its the right call.

If it doesn't change at least I can take solace in the fact that there is a reason.

Thanks,

William

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.