You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

8 minutes ago, rodsal23 said:

will it cost you so much money if you give it to me for free please?

It’s not mine to give away! I paid for my copy, but the licence I purchased only permits use, not redistribution.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 2:07 AM, rodsal23 said:

will it cost you so much money if you give it to me for free please?

I know this was posted a while ago, but I have been thinking about it ever since and wanted to submit some kind of reply to it.

Firstly, I do thank you for the consideration of asking. As blatant as it may be, there is a modicum of respect in requesting charity, especially since there's a good chance that you've since acquired my work (and the work of others) for no cost anyway.

To answer your question, no, it wouldn't cost me much to hand over my work to you for free. However, I don't think, you've considered what it might cost you.

See, the one thing I can't build or sell is the same thing that actually makes my tools function- which is your effort.  Effort is the price of creativity, and one which cannot be acquire freely. My brushes will never make you good, creative, or produce successful work- that burden is entirely on you and your own tenacity.

Consider the insubstantial price of the brushes as a small ante on your willingness. Because I dare say, if the effort to cover that cost is too great...then the mountains you need to climb in a life of creative pursuit will be insurmountable.

I am certain this is not what you wanted to read, but I think it's more valuable than anything I can sell you. Know that if you do desire to climb those mountains, I am in your corner and rooting for you- I hope my tools can stand as a testament to that.

Regards,

-J

Thanks for your great advice wren! I've just started learning digital arts and I'm getting a bit desperate. I just don't have the talent nor skills. Well, I've been passionate about drawing before. I have always had a pencil and a paper at hand, drawing and sketching. It's not that my work was awesome, but I started young; I was already creating my own comics way back when i was 3. But something in my past stunted my growth, I had to abandon it completely. With the recent pandemic we are all in, however, wherein, people are losing their jobs, businesses are closing out, I'm left without a work. I had to consider learning new skills; or re-learning the skills I used to have. And its so frustrating trying to learn how to draw knowing i could do it so well before. 

13 hours ago, rodsal23 said:

Thanks for your great advice wren! I've just started learning digital arts and I'm getting a bit desperate. I just don't have the talent nor skills. Well, I've been passionate about drawing before. I have always had a pencil and a paper at hand, drawing and sketching. It's not that my work was awesome, but I started young; I was already creating my own comics way back when i was 3. But something in my past stunted my growth, I had to abandon it completely. With the recent pandemic we are all in, however, wherein, people are losing their jobs, businesses are closing out, I'm left without a work. I had to consider learning new skills; or re-learning the skills I used to have. And its so frustrating trying to learn how to draw knowing i could do it so well before. 

You are welcome. I want to impart a few more pieces of advice, but before I do I want to acknowledge that the pandemic has turned everything upside down, and adds another layer of complexity to establishing or re-establish yourself, but I believe it is possible.

Having that said, don't rely on the idea of talent as the source of permission to become an artist or learn a new trade. Talent is how a novice interprets hard work. I also started drawing when I was very young, but it was only until I made an effort to sharpen those skills did I find myself improving. Also, for as much as I know or as skilled as I may be- I still have so much to learn and improve upon. Drawing is a lifelong pursuit that I don't think I'll ever feel "finished" learning.

It's great that you have a passion for drawing and that you have pencil/paper by your side. The best thing I was ever told early in my Art education was, "If you can draw- you can do absolutely anything" it's absolutely true- and applies to more than just visual art. With that, hone your skills in drawing with paper/pencil first and foremost- it will make learning digital illustration and whatever else so much easier.

If you need a syllabus to study by try this:

1. Learn to draw objects in perspective
  2. Study the human figure
  3. Study the work of old masters
  4. Study nature, in nature.

Finally, it's okay to feel frustration, it will occur and get the best of you no matter how skilled you become. Accept that you'll become frustrated, and try and learn to occasionally harness it to your benefit rather than allow it to discourage your effort.

Again, I hope this advice was helpful and that you continue to pursue a life of art making, I am cheering for you.

-J

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, craigjarvis said:

Hello,

What's the difference between the bundle and the individual sets available on Designcuts, are they a different set of brushes?

Hey,

There is no difference in the bundles. Thanks for your interest, I hope you like them if you decide to purchase them

On 1/6/2021 at 3:35 AM, rodsal23 said:

please give this to me as a gift?

I think he gave a very elaborate answer why giving you the brushes for free is not going to help you much. If you have bought Affinity Designer or Photo, there are already a good array of brushes to get you started with whatever it is you want to make. If you don't yet know what you want the use the brushes for, try them all out, see what they do. Try to recreate works by others to see how they can be used. As a brush collector and sometimes brush creator I can understand the desire to try new tools all the time, but really if the structure, the idea and the hard work is not there, none of these brushes will help you archieve real growth.

• 2 years later...

I was considering buying these, but I did not see a way to input the FIFTY50 discount code.

Tzvi 9_9

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.0 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.0 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.0 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

33 minutes ago, tzvi20 said:

I was considering buying these, but I did not see a way to input the FIFTY50 discount code.

Hey,

Thanks for considering my brushes. Sadly, that discount code expired years ago. I do have a sample set of brushes that is free if you'd like to see what is included in the box set.

Cheers,

J

is there a way that I can get the set for a discount?

Tzvi 9_9

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.0 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.0 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.0 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

1 minute ago, tzvi20 said:

is there a way that I can get the set for a discount?

Currently no, there are no discounts available. When I add to the set I might offer a code for people here. However, I'm not sure it'd be fair to hand out codes a la carte to anyone who asked- plus my inbox wouldn't hear the end of it, savvy?

For what its worth I think my brushes are a great value, and if I ever add to the set you'll get that new stuff for free.

1 minute ago, WREN said:

For what its worth I think my brushes are a great value, and if I ever add to the set you'll get that new stuff for free.

For what it’s worth, Jef, I think they’re great value too! Even at full price it’s only $12 for the set, which already works out at less than 3 cents per brush.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Updates! 2023

image.png.de862d3c73554365d078b886ca4ebd90.png

Hello!

It's been a while since the last update, but after a few inquiries on this forum I decided to update the box set of brushes for Affinity Designer & Photo. If you have purchased any set from me or downloaded the sample set you'll be getting an email with a lot of the same information I am about to present here, and I apologize for the redundancy. However, I wanted to give back to the community that inspired the update so I created a discount code just for you. Ultimately, I added around 50 brushes to the box set and retooled every brush. If you own the box set all you need to do is download the updated file from Gumroad.

Use the code AFFORUM2023 until Nov 1st 2023 for a discount on the box set.

Separate Sets

Gouache has been broken out into its own set. Additionally, Every raster brush set is now available to purchase separately. These sets will receive limited updates up to 50 brushes per set.

ACRYLIC

DRAFTING

GOUACHE

INK

OIL

WATERCOLOR

Thanks again for your support, happy art making!

PS:

Spoiler

I also hid a nice little surprise in the "Instructions and License" folder of the box set that I think you'll like. 

• 1 month later...

Hi @WREN I was trying to unzip the folder with the updates but it kept telling me that the files are corrupted. Maybe they can be reuploaded to gumroad to make sure that they are not corrupted.

Tzvi 9_9

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

did not help:(

Tzvi 9_9

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6