You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Awesome! Just bought it :D, the pixel brushes will be free right? 

Thanks for grabbing the set! I will probably do something similar (in terms of pricing) for the pixel brushes as I did with the vector brushes. There will be a free set with a sampling of each of the larger paid sets then one huge set with all of the pixel brushes. I also might make a combo box set with all the vector and all the pixel brushes.

I really like what Kyle T. Webster and Frenden do with their brush set pricing so any box set will always get updates for free with any new brush to the brush sets they contain.

Speaking of the pixel brushes I just started tinkering and making some watercolor and acrylic brushes. I think it will be a little while before I do a massive release mainly because I want to make brushes that 'I' like and use. Before I post those brushes for sale I think they all need to be field tested extensively, and the best way to do that is to draw and paint with them while they are being made. It's a lot like living in a house that you're building, and fits well with the way my process works- I make, learn, revise, and repeat. It's completely inefficient, but absolutely expressive. :) Also, I don't want to bite anyone else work/brushes only to repeat the offerings of other creators.

Here's some experiments:

C9KoumgRcp.jpg

I need to correct that today as I finally got my download but I had to try at least 10 times!!!

Thank you Wren..hope now that they will work for designer windows...( didn't have time to try them yet!!!)

Testing Affinity Designer Beta 1.5.0.11

• 2 months later...

C0_FoBiOtn.jpg

Hello again!

I have been working on a project that dealt heavily in 80's retro aesthetics. I needed a brush that was reminiscent of the painterly slashes and strokes of the era- I couldn't find anything that fit my needs specifically

so...

I made some.

Thus was born "The Turbo Rad" set. 50 Vector brushes modeled after the typography and graphic design of the 1980s.

Each brush was hand made using different media and surfaces that are then scanned and touched up to achieve the right weight, angle, splash, and texture. They're all named in reference to touchstones of the culture.

TIP: Give the stroke an Outer shadow with a radius of 0 or Outer Glow to give them that gnarly 80's vibe.

If you purchased the Box Set (at any price) this update is totally free. You should have received an Email with instructions to download it. If not, you can Re-download the Box Set from gumroad and it will include the Turbo Rad brushes.

If you haven't gotten your hands on my set of 200 vector brushes, you can use the Promo code INKTOBER all month for 20% off the box set.

I hope you like what I've made and that they can help you make your work most excellent!

wFxXyEfoSw.jpg

I purchased the box-set but can't see how to download this addition despite receiving an email?

Help please

Martigny

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

I purchased the box-set but can't see how to download this addition despite receiving an email?

Help please

Martigny

If you sign into the same account you used to purchase the set and navigate to your "Library" at the top you should be able to download the box set again. Inside of the folder you'll see the Turbo Rad Set.

Hi Wren .. thanks. I have them now :)

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

I wondered why I couldn't see them at first, but I found them when I switched to the Draw Persona. Is it intentional that they aren't also available in the Pixel Persona?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi Alfred,

The brushes used for Pixel and Draw Personas are different (and use different brush engines) so yes, this is expected.

Draw Persona's brushes are vector based, that is, rely on a vector path to be drawn (although you can still use images with them).

Pixel Persona brushes are totally raster based and use the same engine as Affinity Photo brushes.

Thanks, Miguel. I noticed some time after posting that these brushes are described as vector brushes, both in Jef's original post and in the topic title, but I didn't get around to posting again to say so! blush.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi there,

I’ve just purchased your set, but it didn’t let me download it! Can you help please?

Thanks

Hey,

You should receive an email with the link to download one you purchased it. If not, you can sign into your Gumroad account you used to purchase the set and download it from your Library

You can also go to the set directly and you'll be given the option to download it:

The Box Set

Let me know if any of these worked

Hello, I bought today Box Set and these are beautiful brushes particularly for lettering. I would like to ask if I export image as eps - my letters are still vector files or only raster? I tried with pentel fine point brush. I'm new in affinity design and use mac.

Hello, I bought today Box Set and these are beautiful brushes particularly for lettering. I would like to ask if I export image as eps - my letters are still vector files or only raster? I tried with pentel fine point brush. I'm new in affinity design and use mac.

Hey, 

I just replied to your tweet, but I think it's good to answer your it here too. If you export the vector path with the brush applied as an EPS (to my understanding) you'll have a raster image of the stroke that was made with a vector.

If you only apply the system default stroke to the path and you export as an EPS (or SVG for that matter) you'll retain the vector information in the file.

I hope that was helpful, let me know if there is anything more I can help you with

Hi WREN

I got the brushes yesterady and I'm having a question. How do I use the brushes on a closed curve without the gap? 

Here's the screenshot with the settings, I did try to work with the offset but i does not really help:

http://i.imgur.com/nnYlTaq.png

Any ideas?

Hey, thanks for picking up the set! You did everything correctly in closing the loop (adjusting the head and tail offset) except the final step.

Select the path and Break Curve. and Viola! it'll overlap.

It's a bit of a work around, but it should give you the results you desire. Let me know how that worked for you.