You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows Install FAQ

• Poping op "DirectX 10 (Shader Model 4.0) hardware not found" in the beginning. Have tried reinstall again and again.

I'm sure my graphics card support DirectX 10. Any advice?

Graphics card: Geforce 310M (w/ latest driver)

• Poping op "DirectX 10 (Shader Model 4.0) hardware not found" in the beginning. Have tried reinstall again and again.

I'm sure my graphics card support DirectX 10. Any advice?

Graphics card: Geforce 310M (w/ latest driver)

Hi Chien, looking at http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/product_geforce_310m_uk.html it seems that your card does support DirectX 10. What OS are you on?

@chien

if you have a Intel cpu, it might be necessary to either disabling the intel apu(Intel HD Graphics) via the Bios
or to go into the NVIDIA Control Panel and to assign the gpu to Affinity Designer (and all other programs which should use the GPU)

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

Thanks everybody.

# not find Intel HD Graphics option in bios, so assigning NVIDIA to AD in Control Panel

# disable and uninstall Intel HD Graphics in Device Manager

# reboot many times

But AD still says it require DirectX10 compatible graphics card in order to run. 

Again, any advice...?

Chien, what graphics card, CPU and motherboard do you have?

[solved]

ASUS U36JC

Intel M480 i5, Geforce 310M

Thanks Mark and everyone. I referred this https://youtu.be/w9sDl4KpdV4

Not telling guys to play Ryze...I follow the guide, download windows dev SDK, manually add AD to the list, and it works!!!

That is,

if anyone see "DirectX 10 (Shader Model 4.0) hardware not found" error message, please download windows dev SDK and follow the steps in the video.

Go for AD!

:)

Nice one Chien, it looks like the guide just forces WARP10 compatibility (which is the software emulation layer), so it might not be as fast as it should be! 

I've just looked into the code which does the checking at startup and it seems like we've got a slight problem where the app should let you run it with WARP10 software emulation, but it's failing with the error message that you've seen.

It still doesn't explain why your card fails the DirectX 10 check though.

Hi,

I have Windows 7, SP1, 64 bit and during the installation I have an error message:

"Windows 7 Service Pack Platform Update not found (KB 2670838)"

What can be the problem?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

ASUS U36JC

Intel M480 i5, Geforce 310M

Go for AD!

:)

Hi Chien, just to let you know, we bought a laptop with a GeForce 310M for testing, and found that it works OK. We're thinking it might be another problem such as a Windows Update, or driver version etc. Do you happen to know what your driver version is?

The installation says I need a Windows Service pack. I also followed and used the Microsoft download link. But when installing service pack it says that this pack is already installed. But the affinity setup don't find this service pack so I can not install...

Please help

Hi! I get the following message when trying to install Affinity Designer Public Beta on Windows 10

Affinity Designer requires the following items, which will now be installed:

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2 Preview

-> clicked OK

then it uses a few moments extracting a .cab file, then stops with the following message:

Item installation failed: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2 Preview
Setup will now exit.

Is there anything i can do to fix this?

The installation says I need a Windows Service pack. I also followed and used the Microsoft download link. But when installing service pack it says that this pack is already installed. But the affinity setup don't find this service pack so I can not install...

Please help

Hi, it's probably referring to the Platform Update for SP1. You will need to install this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=36805

My Beta Affinity Designer shows it expired. Is there a way around this. I know it can't be forever, but I am enjoying learning the interface. I have Serif drawplus and page plus, which are both great products, but just trying to keep up with the latest and best. Could I just download another time or is this a one time use offer? I only use it for myself and not using for any commercial projects. I would expect to pay for any commercial uses. You have a really great talented team and thanks for the introduction of the beta version.

• Staff

Hi Robsch,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You will be able to use the Public Betas freely until Affinity Designer's commercial release.

All public betas have an expire date set. The dev team probably was expecting to have a new Beta ready by now thus the expired warning.

Are you sure you are using the latest Beta version (1.5.0.8)?

In any case there should be a new Designer Beta available soon. Sorry the trouble.

My Beta Affinity Designer shows it expired. Is there a way around this. I know it can't be forever, but I am enjoying learning the interface. I have Serif drawplus and page plus, which are both great products, but just trying to keep up with the latest and best. Could I just download another time or is this a one time use offer? I only use it for myself and not using for any commercial projects. I would expect to pay for any commercial uses. You have a really great talented team and thanks for the introduction of the beta version.

All betas expire 30 days after they are released. It sounds like you're using an old version (1.5.0.5 or earlier). Make sure you've updated to 1.5.0.8 to continue using it.

I have read so many tales of woe. So I am not gloating but feel sorry for those that went down. I have Windows 7 Professional installed. Installation of the latest version performed smoothly. I am systematically ging through it. So far all appears to work well. Will continue to try to "break" something, Smokey.

• 2 weeks later...

1.5.0.11 (Windows 10)

For me the .NET Framework 4.6.2 installation took just over six minutes to complete, and also required a system restart. Not necessarily a problem (or your problem), but I think maybe new users should be forewarned, because when it's not doing anything during the installation, it looks suspiciously like it has hanged. Even checking the CPU activity in task manager didn't look promising. In the end the progress bar went from about 10% to 100% all in one go.

v2.4.0 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.3.1

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.