You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Hide overflow" option for Text Area Tool

Hi!

Now that we have a fantastic constraints feature could be very useful to have an option to show/hide overflow in Text Areas.

This feature could avoid extra complexity in assets design, allowing to emulate a realistic text "cropping".

Cheers!

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Paolo, could you explain a bit more? If you want to clip the text, so you sometimes get just the top halves of characters, you can do that with a vector clip. If you just want text that fits the frame, you can use filler text - that expands itself dynamically.

Paolo, could you explain a bit more? If you want to clip the text, so you sometimes get just the top halves of characters, you can do that with a vector clip. If you just want text that fits the frame, you can use filler text - that expands itself dynamically.

Thank you for your answer.

Clipping is the way I typically use, but it adds unnecessary extra complexity to assets layout.

Also is not a "per-line" way to hide, and could result in half clipped lines.

Filler works perfectly as I want, but sometimes need to place there real content.

A typical use case is responsive breakpoint representation of sections containing fixed paragraphs.

This is what I mean (now with a fake lorem ipsum)

TextAreas.jpg

Basically it is about to extend the "Filler Text behaviour" to all text areas as a parameter you can turn on/off. 

Does it make any sense?

Maybe it's only me...  :)

• Staff

No it's not only you. InDesign and other apps also do this, placing a small plus sign over the frame on the bottom right to indicate there's more text hidden (screenshot attached). If you click on it, it lets you carry the remaining text to another text frame which becomes automatically linked to the first one.

post-59-0-85601100-1467208825_thumb.png

No it's not only you. InDesign and other apps also do this, placing a small plus sign over the frame on the bottom right to indicate there's more text hidden (screenshot attached). If you click on it, it lets you carry the remaining text to another text frame which becomes automatically linked to the first one.

attachicon.giftext_overflow.png

Exactly Meb, even if I'd expect such a behaviour to be part of Publisher, I'd love to see the simpler (visually speaking, don't mean coding) overflow option in AD too.

• 5 years later...