You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Usually a doc will automatically save a color palette together with saving the doc. AD, however, appears not to do this, although I have tried all three methods when saving my color palettes (application, document and system). Today I worked hard to streamline my color palette which had become quite complex. Then I foolishly went on working in the doc and forgot to save the palette, thus losing all of my work when I rebooted. I would think that AD would have some type of message reminding the user that the palette has been altered and not saved. 

Perhaps I am missing something here. (For sure I forgot to save the palette!) Could someone point me to more info on the color palette since it is more complex than Freehand or Illustrator (which is quite good, I'm sure), but with more options comes the need for a better explanation of how to exploit these options. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks! This answered other questions I had about panels (Doc/ App/System options), but did not answer why my swatch panel was not being saved with a specific doc. Then with the beta 9 (or was it 10), the swatch panel was saved with the doc. Perhaps this was addressed in the new beta, or perhaps I had been saving the swatch panel as "Application" rather than "Document." To attach a swatch panel to a doc it appears I must bring it up in the doc and then save it with the Doc option. If this two-step approach is needed then apparently with each change (improvement) in my swatch panel I should save it with the App or Sys option (so it is saved as a .afpalette file and then bring that up in each of my many documents that use the same swatch panel ... and then save it in each document with the doc option (rather than the app or sys option). This makes sense, if I am stating it clearly. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

I've just tried MAS version (1.4.2) and the latest Beta build ( 1.5.0 Beta 12 ) and the Document Palette is being saved with the document. If you're going to use the same palette in other documents you would be better off creating an Application Palette. This Palette will be accessible in all documents created/opened in AD.

This also applies to Affinity Photo. A Document Palette will be saved with the document :)

I can't find the document pallet, does it save somewhere?

And another question does it up date after changes and saving the doc?

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

• Staff

Yes. Affinity Photo only saves automatically the last 10 colours you have used in the document (the Recent section on top of the Brushes panel).

Off course if you have used more than 10 colours in different objects (fill/stroke of shapes etc) you can still select the object to get their colours but they are not saved in a palette automatically.

Note there's an option in the Brushes panel menu that lets you create a palette from the document.

Miguel it would b great if Affinity apps automatically created a document palette from any objects on an active Artboard. This would be so great, specially if it also could add the colors as global colors. Of course this should be a preference in the apps' preferences or in the Swatch panels' drop down menu so the user can activate it on a per document basis (via the Swatches panel, or globally via the apps main prefs. Thanks for your consideration and amazing work in the forums MEB.

Yes. Affinity Photo only saves automatically the last 10 colours you have used in the document (the Recent section on top of the Brushes panel).

Off course if you have used more than 10 colours in different objects (fill/stroke of shapes etc) you can still select the object to get their colours but they are not saved in a palette automatically.

Note there's an option in the Brushes panel menu that lets you create a palette from the document.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks MEB for mentioning the "Create Palette From Document" (also under Swatches pull down menu). This, however, creates a separate swatch for every global and opacity in my doc, a very complex geological map with scores of colors with opacity. I wish that it only created a palette with my main colors or that there were a pref of some type for this.

Regarding my original question (top), my AD 1.4.2 (for an upcoming publication) consistently does not bring up either the Document or the Application palette that I saved in my doc (both as Document and the Application palettes). I must bring it into the doc each time I bring up the doc afresh. What am I missing?

• Staff

Regarding my original question (top), my AD 1.4.2 (for an upcoming publication) consistently does not bring up either the Document or the Application palette that I saved in my doc (both as Document and the Application palettes). I must bring it into the doc each time I bring up the doc afresh. What am I missing?

Hi Jim,

The document palettes will be saved with the document, but you must reselect the palette in the swatches panel every time you load up. At the moment the Affinity products don't bring back the selected document palettes but I'm looking to improve on this soon. Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

A

Many thanks, Andrew, for this very clear answer. I now see the difference between automatically bringing the color palette up in the swatches window when I open the doc (as I was asking) and the current reality that the palette is simply added to the pull down menu just below the ten last-used colors. This then is why I have a "2" after the palette name in this pull down menu after I brought in the palette a second time via the "Import Palette" pull down menu and saved the doc again with "save as." This is no inconvenience now that I realize what is meant by saving it with the doc, i.e., simply saving the palette in the pull down menu which makes it easy to bring it into the doc ...

... and hats off to all of you working hard to help all of us users of this brilliant program. Very much appreciated! 

• 3 years later...