You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 1)

• Staff

Enjoying exploring the new Beta, found some issues...

Loaded a large file I've been working on in 1.4.2 (~64mb). Has tons of embedded images etc. Anyway 1.5 has substantial refresh issues with it. See attached image. I know - get a better machine - but the file is usable in 1.4.2 :)

Also another bug; if an embedded file has an adjustment at the top level (brightness contrast), the alpha'd area is effected, (in this case brightened) in the parent doc - you can see this in the selected object in the screen grab. This can be avoided by grouping all objects in the embedded file and applying the adjustment to the group.

As always happy to supply files over e-mail or provide more info. 

System vitals... 

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010)

2.66 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB

Thanks, Malcolm! :)  The embedded document issue - I just fixed that about 10 minutes ago, so can put that out in the next beta, sorry about that. The refresh issues aren't to be expected and we never want to degrade performance, so if there's any way you could send a file over to me I'll try to find out what's going on :)  Obviously, anything you send to support@seriflabs.com (or my direct email if you still have it?) will just be used by me to fix the issue, then deleted  :)

Thanks again!

Matt

• Staff

Oh boy, the love I have for this beta.. let me count the ways:

1. The improved Apple Color Picker integration is great, now we have the best of both worlds!
  2. Also love the color picker tool in the toolbar. Nice! Default shortcut coming?
  3. The awesome Symbols, oh my, the symbols! So shiny, so awesome.. have.. no words.
  4. Seems I don't quite get the constraints options in the bottom right http://pasteboard.co/1VHUWtAm.png- a tooltip would be nice
  5. .. so much more, but dinner calls.

Snags

1. We have all seen this I guess, unless you are on a retina screen: http://pasteboard.co/1VGMkvSU.png
  2. Seems I don't quite get the constraints options in the bottom right http://pasteboard.co/1VHUWtAm.png- a tooltip would be nice.

Persistent Curiosities

1. That the 3D effect radius is still using units and not a percentage. Maybe for a good reason..?

Hi Gatada :)

Thanks for giving the beta a whirl - really glad you're getting to grips with lots of the new features already and giving them a try! :) I think that the Constraints panel is going to be best explained with a video, but basically those two controls in the bottom right are special ones to allow you to lock the aspect ratio of the objects - but to force the aspect ratio to 'min-fit' or 'max-fit'. Things which 'min-fit' are usually like pieces of text where you want to maintain aspect but force the smallest dimension so the contents never spill outside their container. Things which 'max-fit' are like banner images on a web page where you want to maintain aspect and always fill the area - even if it causes the other dimension to overflow the container. We shouldn't be drawing the text so badly for artboard labels on non-retina machines and I've already got a bug logged for this, so I'll take care of it asap :)

Thanks!

Matt

I am really glad the eye picker is so much easier to use now! Using the "I" button for the shortcut makes sense to me and keeps it consistent with Adobe programs which many people will keep using for quite some time. 

I would like to know more about the styles spotlight like search. Are you talking about the search box at the top of the text styles palette? Or is this some kind of "quick apply" like tool like in InDesign? With quick apply you fit command spacebar and get a spotlight like tool to apply an attribute to an object.

• Staff

I am really glad the eye picker is so much easier to use now! Using the "I" button for the shortcut makes sense to me and keeps it consistent with Adobe programs which many people will keep using for quite some time. 

I would like to know more about the styles spotlight like search. Are you talking about the search box at the top of the text styles palette? Or is this some kind of "quick apply" like tool like in InDesign? With quick apply you fit command spacebar and get a spotlight like tool to apply an attribute to an object.

The 'spotlight search' is just the little search box at the bottom of the styles panel - nothing quite as fancy as the other feature you mentioned, sorry :(

Great to see the new beta, look forward to playing with all the new features!

Minor bug - when using the pen tool, display of the canvas flashes on and off after placing every node, see here for screen recording: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sazskrae9c9yr8p/pen_bug.mov?dl=0

This is on OS X 10.11.5 on a Macbook pro retina, early 2015 model.

Thanks again for the new beta!

Oliver.

Having search boxes in panels is always important especially when you are working on a compact screen. Without the search box you have to do a lot of tedious scrolling a small space. This is made worse if you have several panels stacked on top of each other.

The reason I thought of quick apply is it uses the same search box in the center of the screen that the last two versions of macOS spotlight use (and Bulter, Launchbar, etc.) I don't think Adobe has brought this tool to their other apps yet... I wonder why? It might be something to think about for future versions but I probably wouldn't put it at the top of the list. 

The 'spotlight search' is just the little search box at the bottom of the styles panel - nothing quite as fancy as the other feature you mentioned, sorry :(

Schedule

Minor bug - when using the pen tool, display of the canvas flashes on and off after placing every node, see here for screen recording: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sazskrae9c9yr8p/pen_bug.mov?dl=0

Oliver.

For the record not seeing this.

@evtonic3 It is happening consistently for me, also after creating or moving a shape... maybe a system specific bug then? Unfortunately makes the beta not very usable for me until this is fixed. LOVE the new node/path related features though!

Cheers,

Oliver.

I am seeing significant screen flashing when I try to create a second artboard with my selection snapped to the edge of the previous artboard. i.e. I am creating a second artboard and see the red line showing that it is on the same horizontal line as the edge of the other artboard.

Bug: I have changed the background grey level for artboards. when I create a new document from file -> new with the default devices iPad air artboard the setting is not respected. I verified that the setting is still where I set it.

I dropped in a 60MP panorama stitched file and I can see great improvements in rendering time using several adjustments. AD definitely does not lock up much as it used to! (I just think it is still the same engine as AP has)

CAN`T TELL YOU HOW MUCH I APPRECIATE THAT!!  :D

The symbols features seems fast but I somehow can´t really get comfortable with it so definitely looking for a short introduction/ otherwise further playing with it.

My first try was to connect two layers as symbols so that any further change on one layer would be replicated on the other but that does not seem to be possible?

One always has to drag the symbol from the symbol panel onto the canvas or use cmd + drag? Resizing the symbols independently VS simultaneously is not obviously to me at first sight.

Once I´ve detached something, how can I attach it again?

I´m curious if this symbol thing will also work in AP to reference a layer in multiple groups - this would solve many issues for me (embedded documents are not very comfortable for that IMO)

- I hope bleed preview is coming soon  :rolleyes: 

Thanks for all your effort!

Edited by MBd

• Staff

Is there a way to organize assets within a category, other than by order they were added?  (obviously, name would be great, or other?)

If you hold down Option (ALT) when dragging, you should be able to reorder. It's on a modifier to prevent accidental reordering when dragging assets out onto the page. :)

Thanks for Paragraph and Character Styles.

First a bug.

It happens when you want to update the Paragraph Style. Right-mouse click on the name of the style to get a pop-up menu to "Update Style from Paragraph.

The same crash happens when you access the same menu from the menu next to the name of the style and ask to Update the style.

There word Heirechical is misspelled on the Pop-up menu at the right of the Text Styles palette.

It's great to have such a feature rich styles as the initial release.

However, I think it would be great if you could also add:

1. Styles for a ruler above and ruler below.

2. Nested Styles

3. Grep Styles

I know you might want to include these 3 in the Affinity Publisher but it would be great to have them here as well.

I feel we should also have Show invisible Characters. This feature is invaluable for me when scanning text for double spaces, etc.

I'm not sure how the developers feel about adding Object Style to the mix.

This is it for now. I'm sure I will have more to say when I play with the Styles a bit more.

And of course a big thank you for this release.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Thanks for the colour picker tool Matt. I assigned "i" to it as a key short, works well as a toggle setup with the current tool.

What are the protocols for tools or tool panels that could be useful in both personas both don't show up in both...?

• Staff

Getting some screen draw jaggies as I move this stroke around in 1.5.

I just tried a test of a similar setup in 1.4.2 and it's smooth as silk...

No problem, I'll get this sorted out asap, thanks :)

• Staff

Is there a way to organize assets within a category, other than by order they were added?  (obviously, name would be great, or other?)

You can manually reorder them by holding Alt and dragging them, but at present there's no list filtering/organising :(

• Staff

Oliver.

I've never seen that before... I'm developing on a 15" MacBook Pro Retina early 2015 model - is yours a 15"? Does yours have a discrete card too? (Mine does) What other apps/utilities do you have running (the top right of your screen shows a number of utilities running) It can definitely be fixed, I just need to find what's provoking it...

Could you try closing all other open apps and seeing if the problem is still there?

In one word: this is a spectacular release … thank you so much …  :)

(I am almost reluctant to post this, since you have done such a fabulous work. But there is a minor bug with the Pen Tool … when drawing the first two nodes of a path. See below.)

bug on 10.8.5: opening image, switch to export persona and right panel is empty (no options, nothing), turning back to draw persona and right options panel is now empty too (no colour, swatches, stroke…. only gray band). Then close and crash   :blink:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.