mcpete

When zoomed in, having panning issues - Affinity Designer

Have an issue with the pan tool. I went to zoom in on a object to edit it, but after zooming in, the bottom of the object was off screen. I went to pan down so I could edit it but the screen wouldn't pan. I could pan up, but then it too stopped panning after a short distance away from the artboard. Leaving a lot of objects off the artboard inaccessible when zoomed in. 

I thought maybe it was a glitch in the file, so I zoomed out so I could select all the objects again, cut them and create a new file and pasted them into it. Zoomed in again had had the same issue. When I'm zoomed in, I can only pan a short distance from the edge of the artboard.

I opened an older file i had worked on the other day (created months ago) and I could still pan around where ever I wanted. So I don't know if this means that it's only files created with a newer version of AD that have the panning issue.

Create a new file and have noticed that depending on the zoom, how far you can pan away from the artboard changes.

Affinity Designer 1.4.2

Hi mcpete,

*Edited*

After poking this some more, I'm struggling to fully understand the situation.

Any chance you could provide me with some images or a sample document or perhaps a video displaying the behaviour? 

Artboards should give you as much freedom as you need while panning and this is why I'm a bit unsure about what you mean.

Thanks.

Ok I see what the problem is now. If I create a new document without checking "Create artboard", then I get the odd behaviour of things becoming inaccessible if they are off the page when zoomed in. If I create a new doc with "Create artboard" checked, then I get the ability to zoom in on any object or point, even if it's nowhere near the artboard. 

I find it a bit confusing, what the difference is between setting a new document with or without creating an artboard. Either way something that looks like an artboard appears. Also, why is there the weird difference in zoom/pan abilities? Why limit access to assets off the page. I quite often use the space outside the page as a sort of rough paper to try out variations of assets.  Storing them just off the page in case I need to use it. Keeping it within easy reach, but outside the exporting/printing zone. Now, if I wanted to zoom into one of those assets to edit it, I'd have to zoom out, move it onto the page, zoom in, make the edits, zoom out and finally move it back off the page. …or of course, I now realise, just always check "Create artboard" for new docs.

Hi mcpete,

Artboards are mainly for UI design for different devices and the idea is to be able to compare them next to one another. This means that you have much more freedom when panning around the workspace.

If you open a standard document that isn't an artboard, you are limited to panning so for example, when you are zoomed in quite a bit, you will notice that there is only a small amount of space between the 'page' and the UI which can cut objects off.

However, if in a standard document you go to View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas (keyboard shortcut: \) and uncheck it, you will have as much freedom as you want.

In the MAS release, you are limited to how much you can pan however I'd recommend grabbing the 1.5 beta from here because we have increased the panning functionality. As soon as you press Clip to Canvas again, your images will be hidden so make sure it isn't checked if you wish to have the panning freedom.

Please note, that if you download the 1.5 beta and open a file or create a file in it and save it, this file will not open in the current 1.4.2 MAS version.

OK, that clears things up a bit. Probably just stick to working with artboards in AD then, as it operates closer to what I've come accustom to after using Freehand/Illustrator for the last 20 years.

Appreciate the timely responses.

Thanks Chris

-Pete