greyscale

Designer no redo

I'm getting wonky reactions to Command-Shift-Z for redoing an undone action. Sometimes it works, but mostly it doesn't – I just get an error beep. I'll keep my eyes peeled for clues as to what might be influecing this behavior, but for now, has anyone else experienced this?

Yeah, that's what *should* happen, but it's happening when there *are* actions to redo. I am completely accustomed to using the keyboard to undo and redo in many apps, but Designer is not behaving the way I expect it to. Like I said, it's not every time, so I'll see what further info I can gather.

Using the Node tool, I move a node in an object, and then undo the action with cmd-Z.

With the node still selected, I hit cmd-shift-Z and the action is redone.

However, If after undoing the action I then click outside the object (deselecting everything), then cmd-shift-Z will not redo the action.

I see. I personaly don't need udoable select and deselect, especially if it means that I lose the ability to undo other actions as a result. Could this perhaps be added as a preference?

I don't understand why you need this. If you move a node and then deselect the object, you can undo the deselect and then undo the move. I can think of few things more annoying than carefully making a multiple selection, only to lose it all because I accidentally click away from the selection.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

The problem is with the REDO. See my July 1 post above for details.

This behavior is non-standard app behavior for me. I don't need to undo or redo a select/deselect, and whatever benefits it may bring seem minor compared to the inconvenience of not being able to redo a good chunk of my actions.

OK, my bad. I see what you mean now.

I said in my previous post that I can think of few things more annoying than carefully making a multiple selection, only to lose it all because I accidentally click away from the selection, but I think this may be one of those few things!

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

I can absolutely see how many might want to redo a very complex selection, but I don't use Designer with terribly complex graphics, and so undoable selection/deselection is quite annoying. Here is what I'm faced with:

Make a change to my graphic

Oops, I don't like that change. Undo it.

Click outside the selection to deselect and hide the bounding boxes and handles so that I can properly view my graphic.

Hmm, I think I want to see that change again.

Drat, I can't redo it now.

Make the original change again manually.

This is a totally natural way of working for me on my Mac, and undoable select/deselect gets right in the way. If every other app in the world behaved similarly, this would be no big deal, but Affinity is the odd one out. I can understand why this feature is there, but not all of us are producing complex artwork. Some of us are just working on a logo, for example, and have no need to redo a selection. Affinity, please consider making a preference to disable undoable and redoable selections/deselections.

Losing selection is an action that adds to the history. This is important to our history architecture and future plans for automation.

Adding anything to the history will lose any currently undone steps in the history. So logically when you lose the selection immediately after undoing another action you are going to lose the ability to redo the undone action.

However if all you want to do is do something different to the selection after "properly viewing your graphic" then a simple UNDO next will return to the selection you want. So this is by design, and for your scenario undo is the redo you are looking for

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

Losing selection is an action that adds to the history. This is important to our history architecture and future plans for automation.

Adding anything to the history will lose any currently undone steps in the history. So logically when you lose the selection immediately after undoing another action you are going to lose the ability to redo the undone action.

However if all you want to do is do something different to the selection after "properly viewing your graphic" then a simple UNDO next will return to the selection you want. So this is by design, and for your scenario undo is the redo you are looking for

That's fine if you want to do something different, Patrick, but what the OP wants is to be able to redo the previous change to have another look at it. Without an option to disable undoable and redoable selections/deselections, there's no way to revert to that previously rejected change.

Alfred online2long.gif

Alfred is right. I just want to see the original change that I made, not make a different one. Photoshop for example offers this option front and center by making cmd-Z toggle between undo and redo so that one can compare the latest change to what came before. I'd like to be able to do that in Affinity.

A simple preference to disable undoable/redoable selections would solve this issue. Is that not possible?

A simple preference to disable undoable/redoable selections would solve this issue. Is that not possible?

I appreciate now what you are trying to achieve but no, this is not currently possible and I think this is an edge case that is unlikely to be implemented.

For your problem you are best served with the "hide selection" option that does nothing to the history (rather than a change to the undo/redo architecture for everyone). For the move tool just press SPACE to hide the selection.

If your selection is character based (text) we would need another "hide selection" option.

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform