You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Edit the Masks used in Adjustment Layers

Is there any way to edit the adjustment mask that comes with an adjustment layers, similar to how you can in Photoshop. If I open a photoshop file, the adjustment layer and accompanying mask is there, but I don't seem to be able to get access to the mask to edit it. I'm trying to replace Photoshop, so trying to find ways around all the things I currently do in Photoshop. :-) It seems most of the functionality is there, just a different way to get there.

Many Thanks

Gaz

If you select it (the adjustment layer) and pick any tool (gradient, paintbursh, selections...) you can edit it directly applying those to the layer itself.

Anyway, you can't "see" it (the greymap I mean), only its effect.

To see the grayscale representation you have to promote this to a pure mask.

Go to Channels, you'll find a channel like [Name] Adjustment Alpha.

Right click, and choose Create Mask Layer

Now you have a copy of your adjustment alpha as a mask, that you can re-assign and edit with right click Edit Mask.

In this case you'll see the grayscale layer.

Ps. Remember to clean up your Adjustment Alpha, otherwise you'll have a double mask  ;)

EDIT

Much more easier... 

Add a new mask to your Adj Layer and you're done...  :)

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Brilliant, thanks Paolo,

That does seem a bit complicated compared to Photoshop, and probably something Affinity should look at. I'm sure it's on their roadmap.

Thanks

Gary

Affinity Photo still has to improve a lot in the mask/channels department.

It is one of the most important subjects for professionals and, as it is now, is not as intuitive as in Photoshop.

Thanks

For a new product it's pretty good, but you're right, there are some PRO areas that are there, but implementation could be made more intuative. Looking forward to the next version. :-)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.