You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo: The Little Box of Tricks - 8.5+ hours of tuition out now!

Hi everyone,

The course I've been working on is out and right here: https://www.udemy.com/affinity-photo-the-little-box-of-tricks/?src=sac&kw=affinity . It's a collection of 25+ projects from simple to advanced covering a whole heap of different topics. Things like combining images, spot coloring, tonal separation, advanced dodge and burn techniques, high and low key lighting, emulating the looks popularised by famous photographers, soft focus effects, artistic effects, restoring damaged photos, coloring vintage photos and beauty retouching techniques.

This is the third Affinity Photo course I've put on udemy.com, and the three were always meant to work together. The Solid Foundations course was for beginners, the Raw Editing course for people wanting to understand and develop Raw files, and now this. This course assumes you know the basics of Affinity Photo, although the first thing I do after the introduction is to give a brief primer on layers, layer masks and layer blend modes. That way you should be able to get a handle on the things we'll be using the most.

Affinity Photo: The Little Box of Tricks is intended to build on top of the Affinity Photo: Solid Foundations course and build up your skills in terms of technique and good working practices. Practices based off my 25+ years experience of working as a designer doing a variety of different work for a variety of different clients in a variety of different places. So why not click the link and check it out?

Cheers,

drippy cat

Hi Chipotle. I'm glad the first course is proving helpful for you. I suggest that you make sure you are comfortable with layers, layer masks and layer blend modes before you consider The Little Box of Tricks. There is a video right after the introduction in the new course which is intended as a refresher for those topics.

Hi Timber. I think Udemy are already running a sale discount. at the moment (which I didn't know about & I don't know how long it will last.) So maybe now would be a good time to get the course. nhannomad, the next thing I'll release will be a very basic course which expands upon the 5 steps to better pictures tutorial I have on YouTube. It's intended for casual/beginner users of Affinity photo and covers ground already covered in the Solid Foundations course but without all the extras things like selections, layer masks and blend modes etc. For that reason I will be sending out an email with a coupon to all existing Udemy customers so they can get it for free is Udemy lets you do that, or discounted if they don't.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Biff. For coloring in? Nope, I'd do the dark and light enhancement in the develop persona then take it into the photo persona, put a black and white adjustment layer to get a decent back and white image if it's not back and white already. Then I'd color it in. Raw files are too sluggish in any program to do extensive work of this type. Hope that helps.

I have been a fan of Affinity Photo for quite sometime now. I have been dabbling with it but haven't had a solid understanding of a lot of things. Many of the things I've learnt have been from Photoshop tutorials, which can be tricky to translate into Affinity Photo if you don't really understand what the things are or mean. I found this course because I was particularly looking for a tutorial on BW photo colourisation. 

I highly recommend this course. I am still working may way though it. I find the style very easy to understand. It is broken up into convenient sections of about 10 mins each which makes it very easy to consume in small portions. Explanations are good.

Repetitive actions are skipped out so everything you are watching is learning. 

• 4 years later...
1 minute ago, Gearóid Ó Caoilte said:

How do I access the course?

Follow the link in Simon's first post, which will take you to Udemy to purchase it. If you've already purchased, just sign in to Udemy and you'll find it in your course list.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1