After watching the Channels, Creating/Storing Sellections video, I attempted to apply some of the techniques. Here are the problems I am having:

1) After selecting the Blue channel, I try to Command-Click on the pixel blue channel below, but nothing happens. At least not if I click on the icon or the name. If I keep clicking (usually in between the channel names), the dialog box will eventually pop up and I can create a grayscale channel. However, I'm never sure which channel is being used as the source since I was clicking between channels. 

2) I also created a couple of spare channels from a selection. Same problem. I can Command-Click all over the place but only get the selection dialog every tenth click or so, and only when I am clicking it weird places not related to the icon or name of the channel. 

I've tried restarting my computer and Affinity Photo a couple of times with no improvement. And idea what could be causing this?

Hi The-Design-Guy,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is a known issue. If you ⌃(ctrl)-click between the channel's thumbnail and its name it should work most of the times.

This is already logged to be looked at.