idbill

Document title bar hidden when in Separated mode

I'm used to working in 'separated mode' (non-separated mode reminds me of Windoz) and quite often I'm working between 2 documents, which non-separated mode doesn't make easy.

When I open/create a new document, the window usually ends up being behind the top toolbar, and I have to move things around so that I can see the document title bar. 

Most other applications that I use will not place the document title bar behind a tool window.

Bill

Hi Bill,

That sounds unusual... When I add a new document, it usually sits over the place of the first document. If I leave separated mode and re-enter it, it neatly stacks. 

Does this happen with all document sizes? What size screen and hardware are you using?

This happens in Photo and Designer. Switching out of separated mode doesn't change anything in Photo, but does stack neatly in Designer.

I only use standard letter size (landscape and portrait).

15" Retina MacPro (default screen size) - no external monitor.

Will this be corrected in version 1.5 ?

I've gotten used to the tool bar in separated mode and find my productivity limited by either having to constantly move the tool bars around or hunt for tools.

Hey Bill,

I've just checked on an 11" MacBook Air and when you first go into Separated Mode, some of the interface can be covered by the Toolbar however once you have arranged everything and go back out and in again, it seems OK.

Can you attach a screenshot so I can see what you are seeing?

I opened 4 existing jpeg files while in separated mode,

post-8465-0-88856500-1469506198_thumb.png

then created a new file 8.5" x 11", which displayed partially under the toolbar.

post-8465-0-48131200-1469506241_thumb.png

Then I exited 'separated mode', then re-enabled 'separated mode'.

post-8465-0-96970000-1469506032_thumb.png

Not sure if you can tell, but of the 4 pre-existing files, 2 of them are now partially hidden behind the toolbar.

See other screenshots of placements of each file.

File 1:

post-8465-0-64846000-1469506046_thumb.png

File 2:

post-8465-0-88668600-1469506057_thumb.png

File 3:

post-8465-0-96278100-1469506065_thumb.png

File 4:

post-8465-0-24274800-1469506078_thumb.png

New File:

post-8465-0-35847200-1469506087_thumb.png

Hi Bill,

I believe we may have got to the bottom of it. I've checked on a 15" Retina MacBook and at first it was absolutely fine. I then checked the display settings and the resolution was set to the option between 'Default - 1440 x 900' and 'More Space - 1920 x 1200'. 

At the 'Default' setting, I get the open files stuck behind the toolbar even though there's plenty of space to push the files down on the screen. If I change to either setting above 'Default' entering and reentering Separated Mode is fine.

I believe there is some improvements we could make here as there is definitely room to push the files down when they get tiled. I'll log it with development and see what they can do.

Interesting, I was not aware that feature was available and wonder if it is 'newish'. My machine is a mid-2012, and I only fiddled with the display settings when I got it.  I'm glad you noticed the resolution, and have a path forward.